TOIC Chapter 23

On the third day of their National Day holiday, Chen Qianqing's father came home.

Chen Qianqing's father was a man called Chen Qingyang, a mechanic who worked on machine repairs. He would often be travelling abroad, and would be away for two to three months at a time, so Chen Qianqing spent most of his childhood with only his mother at home.

Perhaps it was because he did not get many chances to interact with his son that Chen Qingyang spoiled him very much. The father and son pair had a good relationship, and rarely had any disagreements.

On the day of Chen Qingyang's return, Chen Qianqing's cousin and her family had also come to visit.

Liu Huamei got up very early and even dragged Chen Qianqing up as well, asking him to join her in grocery shopping.

In low spirits, Chen Qianqing put his clothes on, and had his breakfast. Following behind the sprightly Liu Huamei and Lu Zhengfei, he was like a wilting flower that had been beaten down by the rain.

Lu Zhengfei had practically never been to the market. the grocery shopping in his house had all been handled by his servants, and he would rarely have any chances to do work himself. So, following Liu Huamei to the market to him could be considered as a fresh experience.

Liu Huamei picked out a fresh fish, a pork rib, some beef, and also a few vegetables and seasonings before heading home happily.

Chen Qianqing did not speak much, he only followed behind Liu Huamei obediently and helped to hold the vegetables. It was instead Lu Zhengfei who was chatting away happily with Liu Huamei like a mother and son pair that had been separated for a long time.

Liu Huamei turned around to look at Chen Qianqing: "Gosh Qianqing, why is my child so quiet? Just look at Xiao Lu!"

Chen Qianqing mumbled in response, and kept quiet again.

Liu Huamei could not handle him, so she could only give him a hefty slap on his back: "You better watch out or I'll have your dad give you a beating!"

As the three chatted, they made their way home. Chen Qingyang who had just flown back from abroad had already arrived home. When he saw Liu Huamei who had just returned from the market, he greeted her: "Huamei, you're home."

Liu Huamei and Lu Zhengfei put down their shopping in the kitchen before coming out again: "Your son's leg was broken and you didn't even come by to look at him! I'm telling you, you should retire if you can next year or the year after, this is no way to go on for the long run."

When Chen Qianqing was born, Chen Qingyang was already in his mid 30s, and because of the type of work he was in, he could retire at fifty-five, something that would happen this year or the next.

Chen Qingyang obviously did not want to drag this question on with Liu Huamei, so he spoke up to say: "Qianqing, aren't you going to introduce your classmate to me?"

When he heard the word "classmate", Lu Zhengfei's brows were raised immediately in joy, he did not dress so youngly in vain today.

Chen Qianqing glared at Lu Zhengfei: "He's almost going onto twenty-seven, he's a friend, not a classmate."

"Oh." Chen Qingyang quickly apologized: "Sorry, I thought you were Qianqing's classmate..."

Lu Zhengfei laughed: "It's fine, uncle, they all say I look younger than I am."

Chen Qianqing: "..." Well aren't you the shameless one.

Liu Huamei asked a few questions more relating to Chen Qingyang's work. You could tell that she very much wished for Chen Qingyang to retire early, but it was hard to bring it up. Lu Zhengfei and Chen Qianqing both listened to them without interrupting, and the atmosphere in the air was very harmonic.