Chapter 17

Y/N

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asks Dustin in the back seat of my car as Steve slowly drives us through the woods "Yes. He has the same exact yellow pattern on his butt." Dustin replies. I give him a weird look and ask "I'm sorry, but when did you get a chance to look at his butt??" He looks at me like I'm crazy and Max says "He was tiny two days ago." to which Dustin says "Well, he's molted three times already." "Malted?" Steve mocks "Molted." Dustin enunciates. "Meaning he shed his skin to make more room for growth, like hornworms." "So when's he gonna molt again?" Max and I both ask at the same time "It's gotta be soon" Dustin says back. "And when he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it."  "Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats" Steve says nonchalantly "Wait. A cat?!" Lucas says what I'm thinking "Dart ate a cat??" he continues "No, What? No." Dustin dodges "What are you talking about? He ate Mews." Steve states. "Mews?" I ask "Who's Mews?" Max asks "Who names a cat Mews?" I ask "It's Dustin's cat" Steve says. "Steve!" Dustin shouts. "I knew it!" Lucas shoves Dustin "You kept him!"

Dustin starts denying Lucas' accusation and then says "He missed me... He wanted to come home..." "Bullshit" Lucas yells "I didn't know he was a Demogorgon, okay?" I'm starting to feel bad for Dustin. "Oh so now you admit it?" "Guys, who cares? Now pay attention to the windows." Max says "I care!" Lucas yells "You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" he keeps on  "So did you!" Dustin yells "Go baby Dustin" I whisper and Steve chuckles "You know I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be a serious conversation right now." he says to me, also whispering. I just smile at him and listen to the boys arguing again "A stranger?" Max asks. What did I miss? "HEY" I yell over all of them. "Stop yelling, makeup later. For right now, my leg is still bleeding, there are alien lizard cat eaters running around here, and I just want to go home so I can hang out with my b-... with my boyfriend." I smile at the thought of Eddie this morning asking me to be his girlfriend. 

The whole car goes silent. "Guys... Do you hear that?" I say after a minute of the worst noise I've ever heard. Instantly, Steve slams his foot on the gas and starts driving us TOWARDS the sound. "What are you doing?" I ask him "We have to go to it." He says seriously. I mean, fuck it I guess, surely it can't be the most dangerous thing we've done today.