Chapter 24

Steve

"'We'll see'?! We can't just sit here while those things are loose!" Mike Wheeler yells at Hopper when I enter the kitchen after saying bye to Y/N when she left. "We stay here, and wait for help." Hop says firmly. There is definitely something wrong with Hopper, normally he wouldn't treat Mike, or any of the kids, like that. Oh well I guess.

Hop leaves the room to go check on Joyce and I stay in the kitchen with the kids. Everyone is silent for the next couple minutes but then Mike gets up and goes to the stack of games in the living room. "Did you guys know that Bob was the original founder of Hawkins AV?" he says. Bob Newby, Joyce's boyfriend, died tonight in the lab trying to make sure all of them got out safe. "Really?" Lucas asks "He petitioned the school to start it and everything." Mike continues "Then he had a fund-raiser for equipment... Mr. Clarke learned everything from him... Pretty awesome right?" he asks. Dustin and Lucas agree "We can't let him die in vain." "What do you wanna do Mike?" Dustin snaps "The Chief's right on this. We can't stop those Demo-dogs on our own." "Demo-dogs?" Max asks. I have to keep an eye on her like I promised Y/N. That means no letting herself get into more danger than she's already in. "Demogorgons... Dogs. Demo-dogs. It's a compound. Like a play on words-" "Okay!" Max snaps back.

"I mean, when it was just Dart, maybe..." Dustin starts but Lucas interrupts "But there's an army now." Things are still kind of tense between the boys. "Precisely" Dustin agrees "His army..." Mike starts up again. "What do you mean?" I ask him. "His Army! Maybe if we stop him, we can stop his army too!"

The kids run over to Will's room and pick up a drawing "The Shadow Monster." Dustin says "It got Will that day on the field. The doctor said it was like a virus, it infected him." Mike tells us "So this virus, it's connecting him to the tunnels?" Max asks. "To the tunnels, the monsters, the Upside Down, everything." Mike hurriedly says "Woah, Slow down. Slow down." I tell them because frankly I'm not fucking understanding.

"Okay, so the shadow monster's inside everything. And if the vines feel something like pain, then so does Will." Mike says "And so does Dart." Lucas pipes up "Yeah, like what Mr. Clarke taught us. The hive mind." Mike continues "Hive mind?" I ask "A collective consciousness, It's a super-organism." Dustin tells me. These kids really scare me with how smart they are. I really should pay more attention in school. 

Nah. "And this is the thing that controls everything. It's the brain." Mike continues explaining to the group "Like the mind flayer" Dustin compares. "The what?" Max and I both ask at the same time. 

Now the kids are running around the house collecting everyone except Will who is still sleeping on the couch. At least I think he's sleeping. 

Once everyone is settled around the kitchen table. The boys open up a D&D book and start explaining all about the mind flayer, what is does, where is from or not from, and what it wants. "It views other races, like us, as inferior to itself." Dustin starts but Mike finishes for him "It wants to spread, take over dimensions" he says "We are talking about the destruction of our world as we know it." Lucas says. My fucking god. 

"That's great. That's great. That's really great. Jesus!" I say and take a quick walk around the kitchen to help me process this while Nancy keeps talking with the kids.

Way to much has happened today. Finding out that Y/N is really dating Eddie, then her just letting me stand in between her legs with my hand on her cheek, then how happy she was to see him and just seeing the both of them together. Its kind of just putting salt on my breakup wound. I should have known they'd be together, I haven't exactly been having the best luck in the female department. But when she was on my back and 'feeling me up' in front of Nancy, I really felt a connection to her. She did that to save me the embarrassment of seeing my ex-girlfriend next to her new boyfriend all on my own. She is really an amazing person, Eddie is really the luckiest person ever.

I walk back to the table just in time to see Joyce just standing there at the door way and saying "You're right. We have to kill it." What the fuck did I just miss? Hopper walks over to her and she says "I want to kill it." "Me too. Me, Too, Joyce, okay? But how do we do that?" Hopper says "We don't exactly know what we're dealing with here." he gets closer to Joyce but then Mike interrupts "No, but he does." Mike says while walking over to Will. If anyone knows how to destroy this thing it's Will."