Chapter 7 (part 1): The Party

Chapter 7:

"Hey Evan!" Avery smiled as she spotted me down the hall at my locker.

"Hey." I said, genuinely smiling in return. Her blue eyes were bright and happy today as always and somehow they could always convince me that everything was great and happy too. I pulled out my economics and calculus books from my locker and shoved them into my shoulder bag then shut my locker to join Avery in a stroll to sixth period.

"So, who are you trying to impress?" I asked with a slyly raised eyebrow, taking in her tight black dress, fishnets, pin up hairdo and fire truck red lip stick.

"No one." She said, breaking into a giggle at the end. Her smile was broad and her laugh giddy so I knew she was lying.

"Okay so.. Maybe there is someone." She hinted, blushing slightly.

"Ooh tell me, who is it?" I asked in excitement.

"I don't know if I should tell you..." She said quietly, looking conflicted.

"I won't tell anyone." I clarified.

"I know, I'm not worried about you telling someone I'm worried about you getting mad." She explained, bitting her lip.

"Why would I be mad? I don't like anyone." I said.

"Really!? Oh, umm, well I've noticed Jaime has just been getting really close to you lately so I thought you might like him. I think he definitely likes you." She said quickly.

"No one likes me," I said with a laugh, "and I'm not looking for a boyfriend so go for it, you have my blessing." She smiled as we slipped into our seats for sixth period and the bell rang. At the same time I felt my phone buzz in my pocket.

If I took it out now to clear the message the teacher would catch me for sure so I just tilted it in my pocket a little in attempt to read it but all I could make out was

Austin.

I sighed, determined to leave it alone and not think about it but it was a hard feat to accomplish.

My leg danced up and down and I nervously tapped my pen on the desk. Avery looked at me strangely, obviously recognizing the signs of me having something on my mind. Economics dragged by slowly but then bell rang, giving me the go ahead, my phone was out.

"Having a party at my house wanna come?" The text said.

"Sure if I can get a ride." I typed back.

"I'll give you one." He sent back.

"Ok, thanks." I sent.

"So.. Not looking for a boyfriend you say, your not into anyone you say.." Avery starts going on over my shoulder.

"Just cause he is a guy doesn't mean I want to get with him." I mumbled back still looking at my phone.

"Is he cute?" She asked. I looked up at her in confusion.

"What?" I asked.

"Is he cute?" She repeated.

"Umm I suppose."

"You suppose?" She asked, wrinkling her nose. "It's simple, yes or no."

"..yes?"

"Then you want to get with him, you just haven't realized it yet." She said simply.

"...but he's older then me." I said hesitantly.

"Ooh forbidden romance!" She squealed, "so cute!" I rolled my eyes and shook my head.