Chapter 5: kicked to the curb

Chapter 5:

I had been working almost everyday for a couple weeks now and quickly getting to know Anna. We had become fast friends but with Keenan I tried to keep my distance. I didn't know much about him and there was something untrustworthy about him. Though I couldn't help the fact I was hopelessly attracted to him, I knew I shouldn't trust him.

Anna had graduated from high school at the top of her class, but instead of going to a big Ivy League school like her father wanted she went to culinary school and followed her dream to open up a bakery. She had a natural glow and beauty to her that had guys stopping by the shop all the time. Her hair was long and strawberry red. She had piercing green eyes and a sweet smile that could make light of even a funeral. The air of fun and happiness that surrounded her reminded me of Austin in a way. I hadn't seen much of him lately, he has been so busy with work that we only exchanged texts every now and then.

The friend void in my heart was slowly being filled by Anna. Even though she was older then me we understood each other well. She also had a lot of wisdom collected over time to share with me about dealing with EXs and bitchy, trouble making girls like Hayley. The more we talked the more I opened up to her and she almost knew everything about me. One day after Keenan had stopped by I saw her watching me cautiously.

"Do you know anything about him?" I asked her. She nodded.

"I know he isn't a guy that's good for you." She said solemnly. "You've already been through so much pain in your life that you deserve better, he'll only cause you more."

"What else do you know?"

"He is 18, going to graduate this year."

"How do you know that?"

"He used to be a friend of mine. We lived next to each other and hung out a lot. Enough times to see him break a girls hearts left and right and not even care. Enough times to know he has a past." I swallowed my fear and asked,

"What kind of past?"

"Vandalism, violence. You name it, he's probably done it, same for girls... Stay away from him, please." She pled earnestly. I nodded,

"Yeah, sure." I had intended to keep that promise but later would find out just how hard it was.

I was walking home with my music up. The sun was almost absent from the sky and the world was left in eerie blue light. I had let my hair down and the wind was whipping through it and the trees. The sound of a rumbling motor penetrated through my music, causing me to jump and whip around.

That smile. That bright toothed, wicked smile was one I saw every Monday. His eyes sparkled deviantly as he whipped around the corner on his motorcycle and they settled on me. I chewed my lip nervously as he came to a slow next to me.

"Hey Evan want a ride?" He asked.

"Umm I'm alright." I said nervously, continuing to walk on.

"Aww come on, don't be like that. Its just a ride."

"I don't really want you knowing where I live." I said truthfully. "You can't be trusted." He stopped completely and laughed.

"Let me guess, Anna told you that?" I nodded. "It's 'cause we dated and I dumped her. She's just bitter."

"She never said you guys did, she said you were friends."

"We were friends. Then more then friends but she couldn't handle me letting go." He grinned and I nodded again.

"Yeah well your past with Anna is none of my concern. Including your future, leave me out of it."