Chapter 4: Keenan

Chapter 4:

I groaned as my phone buzzed across the nightstand next to my head, shaking me awake but I pulled the covers up further and cuddled into the pillow more, content to stay in my warm cocoon all day. After a moment I finally stuck an arm out and grabbed it, laying the phone on the pillow next to me and unlocking it.

"Good morning perfect." The text read. I smiled softly, still groggy from sleep and my phone buzzed again.

"Smiling yet?" This one made me laugh, he was good, I had to hand that to him. even when he wasn't here Austin still knew how to make my day.

"Good morning :)" I texted back.

Austin: "What's the plan for the day?"

Evan "Stay in bed and sleep if I can."

Austin: "care if I join you? ;)"

Evan: "no, but my mom will and that'll probably end in you going to jail."

Austin: "damn, what a fun killer lol."

Evan: "yeah, tell me about it. She freaked out on me that day we hung out at the mall 'cause she found out I talked to you at warped."

Austin: "lol why?"

Evan:"because "band guys are players who just want to get in you're pants." She said, which is true for many but it's kinda disappointing at my mother assumes I'm running around banging random dudes."

Austin: "I don't know man, talking can be dangerous, could catch an std."

Evan: "gee, I hate it when that happens."

Austin: "LOL. Just imagine how she would have reacted if she had known I was at the mall with you."

Even: "I think she would have spontaneously combusted."

Austin: "gee, I hate it when that happens."

Evan: "lol, so now it's just kinda weird, we've been avoiding each other kinda 'cause no one wants to talk about it."

Austin: "it could be worse, at least she isn't yelling at you."

Evan: "only 'cause she feels bad for what she accused me of, doesn't mean she approves of it."

Austin: "well I wish you luck, I gotta go, headed into the studio :)"

Evan: "good luck to you too."

I put my phone back on the night stand and curled up with my pillow again while I stared at the clock, knowing I had to get up because I started my job at the bakery in the mall today.

"1,2,3." I mumbled throwing the blanket off at 3 and dragging myself up to sit on the edge of my bed. I looked longingly at the purple sheets, still warmed from a night of sleep and sighed, getting to my feet and forcing myself to get up.

I went to my bathroom and stared at my sleepy reflection. My hair was a curly mess and my normally bright eyes dimmed. Disgusted by what I saw I raked the brush through my lioness mane and snagged all the tangles out of it then tied it up in a bandana so I could wash my face and do my make up. I dressed in simple black, since the bakery didn't have a uniform, but I still wanted to be professional. The only thing required was for me to have my hair up so it stayed out of the food.

Mom was perched at the counter as always, the paper in one hand and coffee in the other. She looked up and offered a wry smile, she was obviously tired too, probably another late night.

"Starting work today?" She asked quietly, her gaze returning to the paper.

"Yeah."

"Mhm." She grunted with a nod. "Good luck." I nodded and grabbed my apple and left.