Chapter 15: One Bird One Stone

Chapter 15:

Austin's POV

"Alan, as the "mastermind" behind this tailspin of events, I want you here when Evan's mom get here." I said.

"She's coming here?!" Alan gasped.

"Yep, and while she's here you get to apologize for Squidgifying her room." I said, Alan blushed nervously.

"Okay..." He said looking down.

"I love you like a sister Evan, good luck." Phil said giving Evan one last hug before he ran upstairs to his room before the family soap opera could begin. She smiled watching him go.

We sat in nervous silence for a while Evan even dosed off after a while but suddenly a knock on the door cut through the air, making us jump.

"Can you get it?" I asked Alan since Evan was still laying in my lap and I didn't want to disturb her. He nodded and looked like a dead man walking as he went to the door.

He opened the door to reveal a short woman with faded brown hair and tired gray eyes. She quickly took in Alan's ripped jeans messy hair and tattooed appearance and was in shock at who her daughter had been hanging out with.

"Hi I'm Alan, sorry about the Squidgys." He said, scratching his head nervously but maintaining a warm smile. "Umm she's right here, come on in.." He said gesturing into the house and stepping aside.

She hesitantly stepped into the doorway, her eyes remaining fixed suspiciously on him the entire time. She stepped into the sitting area and looked around for a moment but her gaze instantly landed on us. She looked like she could explode at seeing me holding her daughter, whether from anger, shock or something else entirely was to be determined. She pushed down her terror, seeing her daughter sleeping peacefully and extended her hand to me civilly.

"You must be the one who called me." She said quietly. I nodded and shook her hand.

"Yeah, it's nice to finally meet you ma'm." I said. Her eyes drifted down to her daughter and suddenly went wide again.

"What happened to her!?" She exclaimed crouching on my floor by her side and taking Evan's hand.

"She said she got hurt falling from her bedroom window when she was sneaking out." I said, she looked up at me hesitantly, unsure of whether to take my word on it or not.

"Evan, sweetie wake up." She said gently, shaking her shoulder a little. Evan moaned at being disturbed from her sleep and turned away from her mom, grabbing onto my shirt and curling into my side.

"Evan wake up." I urged softly but she didn't respond. "Princess, come on." I said, gently moving the hair from her face. Her eyes finally fluttered open and she looked up at me and smiled. "there's my girl." I said softly, returning her smile.

She sat up and wrapped her arms around my neck curling up in my lap and hiding her face in my neck. "Your mom is here." I said gently. She froze in fear suddenly and held onto me tighter.

"Hey sweetie, Evan it's me." Her mom said, stroking her hair. Evan took a side glance at her but turned and hid again.

"Hi." She mumbled quietly.

"Evan will you please sit up and talk to me." Her mom pleaded.

"Why? I already know what you're going to say." Evan said bitterly. Her mom's expression was sorrowful for a moment before pressing on.

"And what would that be?" She asked.

"You're going to take me away from him." Evan said quietly, peaking out at her mom again. Her mom sighed, and I knew that was exactly her intent. Though I was trying to coax her out into talking I couldn't help but hold onto her tighter seeing that.