Chapter Two - Trick or Treat, Freak

TW: Elements of racism, xenophobia, highly offensive derogatory terms, descriptions of a panic attack

||Gᴜᴀʀᴅᴇᴅ||

Soreness wasn't something Astrid was foreign to - take that how you will - the severe throbbing in his jaw was present throughout the entirety of his morning routine, so much so he considered not brushing his teeth because of the ache.

He decided he wanted to stand out less today, so he settled on a navy flannel, a simple band shirt and dark jeans.

His mother had once again left for work before he had breakfast, he assumed she had gotten the job.

When he entered the kitchen/dining room, his father was making grilled cheese and whistling to the tune of I Want Candy by Bow Wow Wow, a decent song in his eyes.

Unlike the previous morning however, his father noticed his arrival and sent him an encouraging smile.

"Morning diamond" he went to ruffle his son's hair but was met with a fork.

"Don't you dare" he warned, taking a threatening bite out of his toastie.

"Relax I just wanted to grab the-" He suddenly shook his hand through his hair and darted to the other end of the kitchen.

Astrid let out a "daaaaaaaaaad!" and attempted to correct the now messy hair.

He glared at his dad who grinned back evilly.

The grin shrunk, "how you feelin'?"

Astrid sighed, "I promise dad, i'm fine, a little achy in the jaw but fine"

The older man didn't appear to believe him fully but let it go anyway. Rememberence came across his features and he went to get something leaving Astrid confused.

When he returned he had an ENORMOUS bucket of candy in hand, then he dumped it on the table.

"I present, our Halloween bucket! It's our first Halloween and I think it's time we get into the spirit AND the good graces of the local child population. Genius huh?"

Astrid stared blankly at his dad, before laughing hysterically and cupping his sore jaw.

He finished his food and gave his dad a hug.

"I love you dad"

"Love you too diamond"

Astrid was almost halfway down the road when he heard his father yell, "HAVE A GREAT DAY AT SCHOOL SON!" he turned back and waved awkwardly, the cringe of the moment getting to him.

||Gᴜᴀʀᴅᴇᴅ||

His journey to school was once again uneventful to no one's surprise and the car part was already half full of students gossiping or hanging out. He wondered where Max and Billy were right now.

"Astrid! Hey!"

He slipped his headphones off and turned in response to his name being called, learning the voice belonged to Max, who was skating towards him at a decreasing velocity.