Chapter 38: The Guardian of Secrets

'Hello, hello! Photographer! Are you in there?'

Sonnet's voice startled Mercury and the Team Magma members he crammed in to the room with. Nyx and Firmino were already in the corridor, cold eyes on Sonnet, when Mercury peeked around the door. Zorua was on Nyx's head as a hat.

'Yes...?'

'That Rudolph would like photos of our land.'

Rudolph's door creaked. He peered out.

'I would indeed. We'll need them as a cultural record.'

'It would be my pleasure to show you the best views!'

'Uh...'

Mercury was about to zip up his bag. He expected to leave. Judging by the looks on Nyx's and Firmino's faces, they were as suspicious of that offer as Samara was. She glared at Sonnet. Mercury hesitated.

'I already have some photos of Mt. Coronet...'

'If you lived in the Origin Village – and you are welcome to move in, of course – I'm sure your knowledge of the area's best views would surpass mine. But you don't live in the Origin Village, so allow me to be your guide! I promise you won't regret it!'

Everyone there began to get the feeling that it was actually a demand, not an offer. Even if Sonnet backed down, Rudolph would not.

'We don't have time for this,' Firmino irritably replied, 'The equipment in Delta Lab 3 is worth billions of taxpayer's dollars. We need to take it back to Ironville.'

'My friend! There's no rush to vacate the lab. Take as long as you need! You're our guests. And we would never force our guests out before they're ready to leave!'

'Alright.'

Mercury's eyes were on the floor.

'Let's get it over with...'

If Mercury was going, so was Nyx and if she was, so was Firmino. Samara picked up her bag. Firmino told her to stay there, because the less of them who went 'missing,' the better; but Samara promised Kazuki that she would look out for them. She insisted. The Team Magma rescuers nervously climbed in to their Magma Suits to follow.

Samara and Firmino already relayed the news to the staff at Delta Lab 3. They already began to frantically pack the equipment to take it back to Ironville, but they quickly ran out of crates. They would need large vehicles to transport it. Epsilon sent two buses from the shared garage in Ironville. Kazuki dispatched 11 more from Team Magma's HQ. He was conscious that this was incredibly dangerous. Team Genesis – because he was convinced that was who they were – knew they were in a hurry to rescue their valuable equipment and more importantly, their staff. It would be easy to attack them. Kazuki advised his staff to keep their spacesuits securely sealed for the duration of the journey. He wanted to go, but he couldn't leave. A tourist ship was due to land in two hours and 34 minutes.

As they filed out of the Origin Village, Sonnet began to hum again. It wasn't a song that anyone recognised. Someone must have told him to shut up over their local channel, because he abruptly stopped. He sighed.

'I suppose that Rudolph also wants photos of me...'

Once they all climbed the ladder up to the Martian surface, Sonnet climbed down again. Nyx's hand was on her knife. Sonnet only posed for Mercury's photos and climbed back out.

'So, our adventure begins!'

Maybe they did have a lot of oxygen. Sonnet didn't mind wasting it by pointlessly rambling on. He released one Nihilego and Magnezone. Firmino suspiciously eyed the Beast Ball and Ultra Ball.