Chapter 70: The Weapon

While Natsumi battled Karot, Nyx was the first to step out of the airlock. The sky was an unusual pink. Distorted streams of red and green pulsed from the space-time rift. Between Firmino and Kazuki was an unfamiliar, yet familiar figure that Nyx immediately knew was the man she sought. Although she felt insane when she suggested they were living through the crescendo of the prophecy of the Split Hero, she was sure she felt a godlike presence as she did in her dreams of Mesprit, confirming that one of her duties was complete.

'So you really are here, Split Hero.'

Nyx could hardly see the face behind the helmet, but she knew her great-grandfather was smiling.

'I am indeed here, but I wouldn't go as far as believing in that drivel, let alone assuming I'm the Split Hero! I'm just a very flawed man who wants to be reunited with his family. So I'm much more interested in meeting you!'

'I'm really happy for you,' Venera nervously interrupted, 'But if Wish and Hera are on the way, we have to get to the summit of Mt. Coronet – where the Genesis Cannon is – before they do! Trust me, I've listened to my mother rambling on about it for as long as I can remember – and as ridiculous as it sounds, it really is capable of what they claim! And as long as that rift is open, the cannon can fire!'

'It is true, I'm afraid,' Volo said with a sigh, 'I've heard the prison guards talking about it as well. Hera is my granddaughter. I know her well. I'm absolutely certain she's coming for the cannon. I don't know Wish as well, but it's his cannon, so I'm sure he wants to make use of it!'

'Excuse me,' Hadron replied, 'But surely we're better off dealing with Wish and Hera here, where a misfired attack can't accidentally activate a weapon of mass destruction? If Praise is right, just taking Wish's Shadow Pokémon will calm him down a little.'

'But as Venera says, as long as the space-time rift is open, the cannon's power is infinite. If we cannot immediately close the rift, the cannon must be destroyed, or anyone could use it. Some of us must go to the summit.'

Mercury's shutter clicked. He photographed the sky to ensure he wasn't hallucinating.

'It's like the movie...'

'The movie?'

Volo and Venera were the only ones who had no idea what Mercury was referring to, but after a moment's bewilderment, Volo laughed.

'Of course there would be a movie... but really, my young friends, we must destroy that cannon! I'm sure Kyogre and Groudon can do it, even if our regular Pokémon cannot.'

'Alright, then, Gramps.'

Nyx picked Zorua up. It wore a determined scowl.

'Let's go.'

Six people could cram on to Lunala's back. That would be Volo, Venera, Nyx, Mercury, Kazuki and Firmino. Keru's box could carry anyone else for the short trip.

'Watch out!'

A ball of shadowy, purple-flecked flames hurtled towards them. With Karot defeated, Hadron was about to arrange his officers to block Wish's path to the mountain, but he never got the chance. Volo didn't react as quickly as his young allies. Hadron charged at him to knock him to the floor. They rolled off down a hill. It only just saved them from the Shadow Meteor summoned by Hera's Shadow Dragapult. They were still flung further down the slope by the impact that left a smoking crater. Lunala swooped down. Kazuki grabbed Hadron, but it was Venera who reached for Volo. She wasn't strong enough to lift him. Daeng sent out his Corviknight. It seized Volo in its claws and dropped him onto Lunala in Hadron's place once he joined Daeng on Corviknight.