Chapter 76: The Departure

The Ares program finally ended on 16 September, 2109. Despite concerns that some people still trusted Rudolph and would find it hard to believe that Arceus itself intervened, let alone that Volo was the Split Hero, the program's end was celebrated all over the solar system. It was replaced by the Creation program, with a new mission: to create a world as ideal as possible. Tourist flights would temporarily stop. More Pokémon, plants and an eventual Pokémon League would be introduced as the settlements naturally grew and scientists uncovered the secrets of Mars' past. Anyone employed by the Creation program could go home whenever they wished, as long as they rested for six months between spaceflights. There would be no charge for employees to board a flight.

It was on that historic morning that Saiph arranged to meet Sonnet in the big park with the lake. He just returned from the Icelands. The park was crowded with people celebrating its new name, Ares Park, in memory of those who died for the sake of the program. Mercury was frozen in the open air. Although Arceus' actions warmed the planet and the city's heaters relentlessly pumped out warm air, it was a chilly 6 ºC or 43 ºF. Sonnet and Saiph had one thing in common already: neither felt the biting cold. They hated feeling hot.

'Hi!'

Saiph looked nervous, but he smiled as he stood and waved. Sonnet found himself feeling more anxious and unlikable than he ever had before. He was glad that Mercury held his hand.

'Hello.'

It seemed to reassure Saiph that Sonnet was also nervous.

'You look just like him!'

'...Like who?'

'Dad.'

'Oh... I see. Yes. I've seen some photos of him. We are quite alike. Is he aware of my existence now...?'

'Yeah. Jamie told him. He's pretty upset that he didn't know any sooner – and it probably goes without saying that he's bloody furious with Poppy – but he's mostly just relieved that you want to know him... assuming you do, that is...'

'I would certainly like to meet him...'

Sonnet stiffly shook Saiph's hand.

'It's hardly his fault... my mother is a vile person...'

'So... I suppose you don't want anything to do with her anymore?'

'I doubt it...'

'Right... I only asked because I know Mum would love to make up for that by adopting you.'

'Really...? That would be nice... I assume it would, anyway... it wouldn't take much to be a better mother than the one I've got...'

'Well, if you want it, the offer's there. You're my brother either way. And you're Dad's son, no matter what. He doesn't care who your mum is. So, what're your hobbies? It's probably obvious that I love flying!'

'I enjoy photography, music and "the outdoors," as I suppose you'd say on Earth...'

'Cool! I can appreciate some good photography. I love the outdoors as well – but yeah, I s'pose our definitions of "the outdoors" are a bit different. And I love music. Are you into Pokémon battling?'

'I'm not very good at it, but I enjoy it.'

'Also cool! I'm not that great of a Trainer, either, but as long as me and my Pokémon are having fun, who cares?'

Saiph asked to see Sonnet's photos of Mars. He was as enchanted by them as Mercury was and said the same thing: that he had to share them with the world in a book. He was the only person who truly knew Mars as it was.