Chapter 7: Suspicions

Before the new arrivals could even consider starting their work, they had to practice surviving on the surface of Mars. Months in rust-shaded deserts and simulation chambers on Earth prepared them for its depressing appearance, driving rovers and moving around in the heavy spacesuits, but like everything else, it wasn't reality.

They were all restless when they met in their block's common room. Even Thalassa was eager to get moving already to take her mind off her parents panicking when she almost cried during their video call last night.

So they took their first metro ride to the rover factory. Two rovers – and two parking spots at the West Gate – were allocated to them. They were newer than the ones on Earth. The staff recommended that they drove around Ironville before going outside, especially because the dust storm was still raging. The Ares program wouldn't cover the cost of repairs if they went out during a dust storm by choice.

They took it in turns to drive around the practice site and back into town. Pheromosa and Eden's Gallade even drove them. Kids waved whenever they saw spacesuits on a rover. Clearly, most people never even considered carrying their spacesuits at all times.

Before they went to the club that Jin booked for their first concert on Mars, they stopped by the Delta Lab 1 to check on the Pokémon. They seemed comfortable enough. They told the Harmonias that the Grunts played with them and looked after them well, though that was obvious, because a pair of Team Aqua Grunts were playing tag with the Mudkip when they arrived.

About 50 people were already at the club. They were all members of Team Magma and Team Aqua that Courtney invited. More arrived when Eden's dad posted about it on Rotogram. Courtney herself wasn't there. Kazuki's wife texted her to say that Firmino showed up. She appeared two minutes later. He chatted to Kazuki and his family at the bar. Callerya bought a glass of wine for an excuse to sit there. He asked her how she found Mars so far. That left Courtney looking deflated, especially when Firmino only politely nodded in greeting, then continued talking to Callerya. Courtney thought he actually showed up because she left a sticky note on his desk, inviting him, but perhaps he only hoped to pick up another woman. She tapped Jin on the shoulder.

'Can I sing with you?'

'Uh... what do you want to sing...?'

'You Should Be With Me by Jewel James, please! I know you can play it! I've seen it!'

'In exchange for a parcel?'

Jin didn't expect Courtney to agree to that, but she nodded.

'OK!'

That cheered her up. She charged into the mosh pit that Kazuki and his family started when the show began. Eden called her up after four songs. The crowd was too tightly-packed with Euphoria fans squealing at him. Kazuki had to launch her off over their heads.

Callerya was still shouting over the music to chat to Firmino. He did glance up when one of his Grunts nudged him to say 'the crazy Magma chick' was pointing at him.

'You should be with me! Standing by and waiting at your lab door! All this time, how could you not know? You should be with me! ♪'

It was indeed like he didn't know she existed. His eyes wandered off until they returned to Callerya's conversation about his Grunts playing with the Mudkip. Courtney was about to snatch Mercury's acoustic guitar, but his Ursaring moved it before she could. At 5'1", she wasn't tall enough to pry anything from an Ursaring's raised hands. She shrugged and stage dived off.

As usual, Jin was still full of energy even after his bandmates had enough. Courtney was going to join him on the stage again, but then she saw Firmino accepting Callerya's request of a tour around his favourite place in Ironville. He didn't shake her off when she took his hand. His Grunts grimaced at Courtney staring like one of them stabbed her, but he didn't notice. She didn't notice Joshua nudging Nyx.