Chapter 43: The Will to Survive

Delta Lab 3 was busy. Team Genesis Grunts unpacked the last boxes of equipment brought from their HQ in anticipation of the agreement. The young woman who greeted the visitors from Ironville began to hang up some colourful lanterns she made. After successfully opening and closing the space-time rift, three scientists celebrated with glasses of wine: Poppy, who looked more like a maniacal villain than the rock star she used to be; Mable, who once worked for Team Flare and Krateeyum, who actually went by his real name Zebulun amongst his friends. It was their first taste of wine since they landed on Mars. Sonnet brought some from Ironville.

Even without the lanterns, the shiny white lab looked more colorful than it did two days ago. The equipment was all silver, but most of it was rusty. The rust flaked everywhere. The tiny hospital was already in use. There were two births yesterday and another due today. The few doctors were relieved to finally work in a modern and clean facility.

The heavy door to the airlock opened. Spacesuits and helmets rustled and clanked as they were hung up. Heeled boots clip-clopped. Everyone but the scientists, who were all Admins, froze. Paper ripped. Wish tore the lanterns down without a second thought.

The young woman, whose name was Venera, stared miserably at her ruined work. She feebly hoped Poppy, her mother, might challenge Wish, like she would for her brother or sister, but she didn't even notice.

That brother accompanied Wish, along with Sonnet and some Grunts, to examine the rift up close. There were countless heavy bags on Sonnet's shoulders. He held piles of equipment in both arms. They looked ready to tip at any moment, but Wish and Murad, Venera's brother, still dumped their helmets on the piles. Murad could no longer reach the top of either pile, so he threw his spacesuit on Sonnet's head. Wish followed suit. Venera and two Grunts rushed to help, but as soon as she touched Murad's helmet, the pile in Sonnet's left arm toppled. Equipment tumbled from boxes. A camera lens smashed. The Grunts trembled when Wish span to face him.

'I gave you one job! You useless boy!'

'You actually gave me several jobs–'

'Don't talk back to me!'

'Even though it's my day off...'

'Who do you think you are?!'

Wish snatched Poppy's wine. She shrieked when it spilled and stained her white clothes.

'Control your son!'

'What?'

She blinked. 'But Murad–'

'I'm talking about Sonnet.'

'Oh.'

She glanced dismissively back.

'You really are useless, aren't you? Behave. Repair whatever you've broken. Even if it is your day off.'

Venera scowled. 'You broke it, Murad! And Wish! Sonnet isn't a Mudbray!'