2

As soon as the screaming brat had appeared on his doorstep, Ransom Drysdale knew that he wanted nothing to do with it. Of course his parents and Harlan had tried to make him take responsibility, his grandfather mostly. The paternity test stated Ransom was indeed the baby's father (even if he had no clue of just who her mother was) and now as punishment he was being forced to have her brought up at Harlan's under the care of an au pair.

His grandfather was too nice for his own good. The kid would be happier in a family that wasn't as messed up as theirs.

Now as he stared at the young woman he couldn't help but note she was a pretty little thing. Blonde hair, blue eyes. She could probably pass for his kid's mother if it came to the worst. Ransom was still all for handing the child over to an adoption agency, but Harlan was having none of it.

"Pleasure". Melody simply nodded as he told her what she could call him.

"All mine". He stated and turned to his parents. "So...she's looking after the kid eh?"

Linda rolled her eyes. "Yes, Melody will be looking after your daughter, that's if she wants to accept the job?" 

The three Drysdale's now looked at her .

"I would very much like to". Melody smiled lightly, knowing she was bound to have her work cut out, and she wasn't even talking about the baby.

Ransom himself looked every inch of a trust fund child, brought up with a silver spoon in his mouth and not taking the blame for any mistakes he'd make. Always expecting others to pick up his mess - just like she was doing.

"Well that's settled, good luck". He nodded to Melody and walked out.

"Ransom!" Linda fumed and went after him as Richard now apologised to Melody.

"I told you to just take the kid to nearest agency!" She now heard Ransom arguing in the hallway with his mother. "I never asked for any of this shit!"

"Oh and you think we did? That Audrey did? Your grandfather made the decision..."

"You didn't want her here either! Why are you siding with him!" Ransom yelled at her as Melody now looked at Richard.

He looked a little sheepish. "It was the shock" he now told her as the arguing continued in the background, "we said things at the time that we regret..."

Sure they did. Melody could tell that once she was here looking after Audrey that no one else would give the baby the time of day. She was just a guest in their eyes.

"It's not my place to judge Mr Drysdale". She remained professional. "What goes on with your family is of no concern of mine. My job is to look after Audrey and that's that".

"We like to make the help feel like part of the family in some respects - we always include Fran in our gatherings..."

Well for a start of they wanted that then they could stop referring to her (and Fran) as 'the help'.

"Like I said, I'm here for Audrey". Melody just smiled, hearing that the voices had risen.

"I should go stop them from killing each other". Richard said and moved past her, heading out to stop them.

The French doors opened and an older, well dressed man walked in, muttering to himself and then spotted Melody. "Oh! My apologies young lady, couldn't get any work done in my study so I thought I'd retreat into here". He smiled kindly and then looked like he'd had a flicker of recognition. "You must be here for Audrey".

Melody likes him already. "I am".

"Pleasure, pleasure - I'm Harlan Thrombey".

"Melody Harper".

"Ah yes, from England - I apologise about all this but this is what the family is like". He sighed a little tiredly. "Ransom likes to cause trouble but this is probably the worst mess he's gotten himself into". Harlan now tutted. "The boy will never learn".

Settling himself into one of the armchairs where Linda and Richard had been sitting, he gestured for her to join him. "Poor child". Harlan now said, "such a sweet little thing and yet they would see her shipped off to some adoption place - over my dead body".

"You are fond of her already".

He smiled, "Oh for sure, and she would thrive better here under the influence of both you and I, would have the best care and education. She is Thrombey blood, and in truth I'd like her to be brought up the right way, and not depending on my money - I believe that you can help with this Miss Harper. You seem like a very down to earth character".

"Well I hope I do not let you down Mr Thrombey".

Linda now walked back in with Richard, surprised to see Harlan there. "Dad? I'm sorry about that". She turned to Melody.

"Throwing his toys out of the pram again?" Harlan now asked about Ransom

She lit a cigarette and took a long drag from it. "He's just upset you didn't listen to him about the adoption, he'll get over it".

"He's going to have to, whether he likes it or not, she is his blood. Our blood - and she stays".

Harlan called the shots and Melody knew that. It seemed she had an ally with him and that was enough for her.

Audrey would be well looked after and safer here than anywhere else, whether her father thought otherwise or not.