6

Making sure that Audrey was tucked in, Melody decided to take her for a walk around the estate. Summer was nearing its end and would soon be replaced by crisp autumn mornings and comfy evenings.

She loved autumn, it was her favourite time of year, seeing the trees blended with colours of burnt orange, reds and golds. The smell of pumpkin spice, big jumpers and boots. It made her happy just thinking about it.

It would be Audrey's first Christmas too, although whether she would be included in the celebrations remained unseen. Harlan would want her there for sure, which would mean that Melody would have to be also.

Christmas with the Thrombey's was probably far more chaotic than it sounded if Linda's birthday was anything to go by. She just hoped that there wasn't a repeat of last night or even worse.

"Ah, good morning Melody". Harlan waved at her from where he was sat on the terrace with Marta. Melody walked over and he got up, coming down the steps to admire his great granddaughter. "How is our Audrey this morning?".

"Happy with a belly full of milk". Melody grinned and looked into the pram where Audrey had fallen back in a milk induced slumber already. She had dressed her in a very pretty dress that she had found hung up in the baby's wardrobe. Audrey had such lovely clothes it would be too bad to waste them by keeping her in sleep suits.

Harlan grinned and then turned serious. "I'm sorry about Ransom last night". He apologised. "What he said..."

"Unfortunately I think that I struck a nerve with him. However you do not have to apologise for him, I can handle it".

"More so than the rest of us". Harlan now looked amused, "he needs someone other than myself or my daughter to put him in his place. I heard you both last night..."

Melody bit her lip. "Did anyone else?" Feeling pained at the thought that all of the Thrombey's were probably listening to every word that had ben exchanged between herself and Ransom.

"No, no - they were all too intoxicated apart from Ransom". He confirmed. "But what you said to them earlier as well? They needed to hear it". His smile was knowing. "I knew you were a good choice to look after Audrey, you care about her and speak your mind. I like that".

"Your grandson would say otherwise".

Harlan snorted at this. "Unfortunately Ransom does as he pleases. He's never had to work for anything, then again neither have the rest of my family - although they won't admit that". He sighed. "I hoped that he would make something of himself, build something from the ground up, we're very much alike and that's partly why we don't see eye to eye".

Melody wondered just how much. Harlan had built his company up, written book after book and accomplished what he'd wanted to. She had learnt that Walt was down as being in charge of the publishing company however his authority was limited. A good choice considering he seemed like an overprivileged dick. No wonder his wife looked like she was deer caught in headlights. Living with him was probably a just as much of a nightmare as living with Ransom would be.

And Melody really didn't want to imagine that.

"Anyway I'll let you two enjoy your walk". Harlan now told her and stroked Audrey's head before returning up the steps to rejoin Marta at the table on the terrace.

**

"Heard you had a run in with the asshole last night". Fran said later as Melody came into the kitchen to make Audrey's bottle.

"Who told you?"

"Marta, but Harlan told her". She said, "what did he say to you?"

"Nothing that was enough to wound me. He just wanted to assert his authority but he has none, so his words were wasted". Melody got a bottle from the cupboard and began to prepare the milk. "I think we know now where we stand with one another".

"Hopefully as far apart as possible". Fran replied, flittering around the kitchen as she prepared Harlan's lunch. "I'm heading to the store this afternoon, do you need anything for Audrey?"

Melody thought for a moment. "A family that loves and will appreciate her?"

"Apart from that".

"I'm all good for nappies and baby wipes but another couple of boxes of milk powder would be helpful. I'll give you some money for it".

Fran wrote it on her list, "no problem, text me if you think of anything else".

The dogs tore past the kitchen barking madly and Fran now walked out into the hallway, stating that it was probably just a delivery. She returned within moments. "That scarf wearing asshole has arrived".

"Greeeeeat" Melody drawled wondering whether he'd come back to finish the argument.

"Get off! C'mon get off me!" Ransom shooed the dogs away from his legs as he walked in. "Franny?" He called coming into the kitchen and seeing both her and Melody. "Where's Harlan?"

"Terrace" Fran retorted as no thanks was given and the eldest Thrombey grandchild now walked back out."Ugh, I'm going to the store now, you'd best retreat to the nursery if you want to avoid him".

Melody returned upstairs with Audrey's milk and fed her, hearing some raised voices become louder from downstairs.

Harlan and Ransom, and they were arguing...

She tried to keep her focus on Audrey, however soon there was a knock on the door and Marta stuck her head around. "Harlan wants to see you..."

Oh shit.

"Here, let me take her". Marta offered and Melody passed Audrey to her.

"What were they arguing about?"

Marta looked a little uneasy and then finally came out with it as Melody pressed for her to tell her. "They were arguing about you - and Audrey".

She nodded, "Right, well I'd better go and sort this out then. Wish me luck".

"Good luck" Marta smiled as she bobbed Audrey up and down to soothe her, melody leaving her to head downstairs to Harlan's study.

Already she knew that this wasn't going to be just a 'friendly' chat.