30

1 Year Later

"Don't even think about it Hugh". Melody said as she slapped his hand away from the food platter he was currently about to pluck something from.

"What? Can't I just have one before Walt's fat ass gets there first?" He asked.

"It's for the party". She threw him a look as Fran now walked into the kitchen at Thrombey Manor and looked him up and down with the usual judgement- there was still no love lost between the pair, however the housekeeper kept it civil for Melody's sake.

"You're still here Hugh?"

Ransom rolled his eyes. "It's my daughter's birthday party, why wouldn't I be?"

"Can you go put these out before he eats them all please?" Melody passed her the platter with an eye roll. "Is Audrey ok out there?"

Fran nodded. "Mr Thrombey's got her so she's fine".

"Probably trying to teach her Go". Ransom turned to Nelody as the housekeeper now exited the kitchen, then slipping his arms around his wife's waist and giving her a kiss. "We might have time for a quick..."

"Hugh, no" she mouthed slowly as he quickly guided her to the pantry. "No, we can't fuck in the pantry!" She now hissed as he pulled her in there.

"Why not?"

"Because you will be leaving in a body bag if Fran catches us". She smirked and was promptly silenced with a kiss from her husband.

"Mmmm let her try". He hummed in between kisses. The housekeeper didn't scare him.

Melody grinned and rested her forehead against his. "We have to get out there, it's Audrey's day".

The little girl was turning two and had been an utter joy. She had Ransom wrapped around her little finger, and was given anything that she wanted within reason.

Melody of all people knew that her husband didn't want to be anything like his father. He was always there, not absent, gave her the attention she wanted as and when she demanded it. He'd chosen to distance them from most family functions, relationships not exactly changing with anyone, however for the sake of Audrey, they had come to celebrate her birthday. Even Walt was holding off with the usual snarky comments, knowing that Harlan would beat him down if he so much as breathed in Ransom's direction.

There had been shock from within the family circle when it was announced that Ransom had married Melody. They'd simply had Harlan and Marta there to witness the occasion and then spent the afternoon back home with Audrey. The process of Melody adopting her being started the very next day.
Linda had almost passed out on hearing that her son had not only married without her knowledge but to 'the help'. She was there in Melody's life (unlike Richard) but was not a constant fixture like a normal grandmother would be. Like everyone else within the family, she was only ever focused on herself.

"Fine". Ransom now sighed and let her free so as she could go and begin lighting the candles on Audrey's cake. "I'll go tell Harlan we're ready".

Melody smiled to herself as she lit the two candles on the cake, now picking it up and carrying it through to where everyone had gathered, beginning to sing Happy Birthday.

Ransom had Audrey in his arms and carried her over as everyone gathered around and sang to her. "Make a wish". Melody told her daughter as she now tried to blow the candles out with the help of her father.

"Let's hope she didn't wish for a sibling". Walt now muttered but made it audible enough for everyone to hear. Ransom and Melody now looked at one another with a discreet smirk before Linda now hurried them along to cut the cake up.

Marriage hadn't been without its trials, and like all couples the pair would disagree with one another - but it never lasted long, both of them realising that they were as stubborn as the other.
The family - apart from Harlan - had placed their bets, said that it wouldn't last, that they wouldn't work, that Melody should simply up and go back to the UK with Audrey just to have an easier life away from Ransom, but each and every one of these bets were slowly lost.

And even though Ransom and Melody Drysdale had nothing to prove to anyone - they had shown that their relationship was far healthier than the whole family's put together.

Nothing else mattered.

Only the three of them.