Chapter 3: The News That Follows

The day I found out my mum was pregnant had been the first secret I've ever heard them tell me, even when my sister was born all they did was send me to grandma and grandpa's for the night because mum and dad needed some 'alone' time, I was almost at an age where I knew what that meant, because some of the boys at school told me, but I wasn't quite sure. The delivery day had finally come around and my dad drove me to my grandma and grandpa's house, I had spent the night at my grandparents house, I tried to ask them why mum and dad had left me to stay overnight and I had a feeling they knew, but they wouldn't tell me, we played some games, had dinner, watched a movie and then went to bed. Before i knew it, it was morning my dad came and picked me up somewhere about 11 o'clock. We left saying goodbye to grandma and grandpa and giving them both big hugs, and starting heading to our destination. I thought we were going home. But we were travelling in the direction I don't remember home to be. I remember i asked my dad where we were going, because at age 10 i was quite inquisitive and tried to understand the world and how it worked a little bit more, i was no longer a young boy, i felt like a man that could move mountains. But my dad never told me, it was only when we reached the hospital and my dad stopped the car I asked who was sick and he said 'nobody' I asked well why are we at the hospital and he said 'you'll see', honestly i didnt fully trust him, because why would he leave me at grandma and grandpas overnight, if anyone was sick why didnt i go sooner, he obviously wanted me not to see who or what had happened, we went upstairs and dad told me to close my eyes and trust him, i was hesitant at first but i did, it felt like we were walking for hours but eventually I was sat down, with my eyes still closed and my sister asleep at the time there was no noise except for some machines going off in the distance, all I remember hearing is shuffling going on and a nurse coming in asking questions, but my parents very quickly shushing her so they could surprise me, all of a sudden my dad held my arms out and put a heavy and warm package in my arms, he told me to hold it very tight, but not too tightly. He told me to open my eyes and look down, and there were 2 beautiful green eyes staring back at me. My dad said to me in a quite voice, this is your sister Tayla, my eyes started to water and I started to cry, I was an only child for so long, it was nice to have someone to finally share my life and my family with. From then on my life started to make a bit of sense, I was happy with a sister, but for the first few months of her being home it was hectic, there were times when I went back to grandma and grandpa's house overnight because the stress in the house was too overpowering, I know this having 2 kids of my own, and my dad working most of the time to support the family while my mum was on maternity leave from work, so she was home alone most days looking after me and my sister who had days where she wouldn't stop crying no matter what my mum did, so I understand wanting a break every now and then. The months followed were quite stressful, as my sister got older she needed her own bedroom, so we packed up and moved out of the 2 bedroom house were living in, into a 3 bedroom house that was unlike any other had seen in my life.