Chapter 7: The Secret Escapes

I wake up in the morning and I remember what happened last night over and over again, it plays in my head like a vhs tape on constant rewind, I have never felt so comfortable and happy with myself, I go into the bathroom and get ready to tackle the day ahead, I look at myself in the mirror and im smiling from ear to ear, I try to stop because my face begins to hurt, but I can't ever shake the feeling of how happy I feel, I jump in the shower, turn on my music and lather myself up, I shampoo my hair and rinse myself off, I get out of the shower and im still smiling, I blow-dry my hair and comb it into the perfect hairstyle to reflect how im feeling on this particular morning, I go downstairs for breakfast and my family is sitting around the table with toast, milk, cereal and freshly squeezed orange juice. My sister was the first person to notice that my attitude was different this morning compared to any other morning, she was at the age now that things started making sense to her, but I couldn't tell her because she wouldn't understand why I will have a man in my life and not a female. My parents asked me why I was so happy and I tried to keep it a secret, but I was feeling so comfortable, so happy, so bulletproof that I told them what happened the night prior, I didn't tell them all the details but I told them the basics and that I knew I was different by the time I was 10 years old, they looked at me shocked and were very quiet for a long while. They eventually got up and walked out of room saying nothing like I had just told them I committed murder. They had been very weird towards me over the days following, they tried to act like nothing had changed, and that i was still there precious little boy, but I had noticed they weren't happy with it, I think looking back on it they were trying to accept me, but they never could. One night they had sat me down and wanted to talk to me, I was scared, i dont remember exactly how the talk went, but I remember vividly the actions that came next because to this day, they still replay in my head.