Mother

"You must be excited." Naya's mother gave her a stressed smile she was more than used to seeing these days.

"Ah, I guess?" She matched her stressed smile with an uncertain one.

Naya was 16 years old, a proud Canadian that was now trapped in Paris. She was an average height and an average build, with dark hazel hair with a teal steak and light brown eyes. She was very pretty, she'd been told, but she tried not to focus on that, pulling her attention away from fashionable clothes and makeup and towards comfort and friendship.

And it had worked. She'd found herself. She'd made friends. And now she was here, in a strange new place where she knew no one.
Today was her first day of school, where she'd have to introduce herself to her new class.

They'd think it was weird, she was sure, that she was transferring in the middle of the year.

They'll probably hate me, she thought dismally. And I don't blame them. But as long as I keep up the happy-go-lucky attitude I should be okay.

As long as I don't show them how miserable I really am, I'll be okay.

"You don't look excited though," her mother murmured, pulling on her coat. "Please tell me you'll be fine. I don't have time for this."

"I'm okay," Naya whispered, wishing those words could hold even a speck of truth. "Oh, tonight do you think we could—"

Click.

The door closed after her mother hurried out, not bothering to say goodbye as usual.

"Ha. Never mind," Naya muttered into the now quiet air. She felt hot tears gather in the corners of her eyes but shook them away. "I'm fine. Yeah, I'm fine." Taking a deep breath she repeated the words a few more times, then turned back into the kitchen and grabbed some cereal for breakfast.

I'm fine. I don't need her to be close. All I need is to get through the day.