Chapter 18

Even though Thomas  stressed you out, it was no reason to hide all day inside your cottage. Sooner or later you would need to face him again, or worse, he would visit you.  His demands were impossible to fulfill, too risky, and besides that, you did not want to face the green devil too early. The time went slowly by, and you still found yourself either rolling in bed, or simply staring at the ceiling. Your eyes wandered through the cabin, then suddenly came to stop at a small rusty knife that had slipped underneath the table. For a moment you just observed the small object, until you moved towards it by pushing yourself over the edge of the bed, bending towards the ground, and slowly crawling with your upper body towards it. Standing up would have been easier in the end, but it also cost you energy, and energy was something you needed later. On the ground it seemed more like a struggle to reach the knife, but the dirt on the floor was already rubbing against your clothes, so standing up now was not worth the effort. Your fingertips reached the rusty metal, and with that, your legs dropped with a loud thump onto the wooden ground, rather surprising than injuring. Great use of energy.

‘Gotcha!’ You chimed out, and lifted yourself back onto the soft mattress to inspect your finding any further. Part of the knife had been broken apart, but it must have been small in the first place. The broken piece was barely something to use in a fight, yet placing it under your pillow would make you feel safe at night. Not soon after that charade, your stomach betrayed you, signalling hunger so that self-isolation finally was over. Fate was the second one to betrayal you, as the first person inside of the camp to cross was no one else but Peter Pan himself. He stood in the middle of the muddy clearing, shooting commands towards his patrols and hunters. His arm rested causual against his hip, and evem though he was annoyed by one boy’s incompetence to tie a proper knot for a trap, he seemed tamed. 

'Slept well?' Pan asked humourful when you stepped closer. You had spent all morning inside the cabin, skipping breakfast, waiting until you would get hungry and have a valid reason to go outside.

'I was not feeling good.' You lied. Peter's face grew worried. 'You should eat something.'

'I will get some vegetables then.' You replied, then added, 'if you would let me of course.'

'Is that where you were yesterday? The crop field? It was like the earth had swollen you up.' By asking that, the leader had no clue what terror he woken inside you, how he might knew a little more.

'I was busy with work and forgot the time.'  You replied almost too eagerly, a little too nervous. He could smell lies, this was no lie. Peter made a face that said nothing more than, 'oh.' Then he let out an abashed chuckle. 'It must have been a surprise to find it all neglected.'

'No really.' You said. 'It was foul like most of the boy's personalities.'

Peter had problems keeping his emotions inside. He reacted with a surprised frown, followed by an agreeing laughter, waving his index finger at you, as if to say, 'You have a point.'

'They have bad eating habits, but in the end they are nice.' He then said and placed his hand on his chest. You laughed, shaking your head in disagreement. It was more than eating habits you were talking about, and he must have known this. 'No lost boy is really nice here, I learned my lesson.'

'Maybe you'll get to like Felix, too.'Pan said and smiled. 'You'll see, once you do, he can be quite pleasant company.'

At his name you froze for just a second, and you tried not to look way too surprised, so you frowned instead. Sure he was nice company. And if it were not because of Peter, he would have been an even more pleasant company. The way Peter had mentioned Felix and your time at the crop field with said boy could be not coincidence, right?