-10-

Song: I Can't Stay Away

Band: The Veronicas

*~*~*~*~*

"3001," Heather said to herself while she walked down the hallway on the third floor of the University. The night before, she had taken a picture of the email Alejandro sent to everyone at the beginning of the semester with his office information. She was fed up with the torturous silence between them. He has to talk to me at some point. It's been a week, she thought as she got closer to his office door. Why not make him talk sooner?

Heather stopped at the door: 3001. She peeked through the small window slit and saw that no one else was in there except for Alejandro. Perfect.

She firmly knocked on the door. A few seconds passed, and Alejandro opened it. His face seemed to freeze when he saw her. "Hello, Ms. Kaneko," he greeted her formally. "How can I help you?"

Heather looked at him as if he were from another planet. "Are you shitting me right now?" She asked him, keeping her voice low.

"No ma'am. What do you need help with?"

Heather took a deep breath. "Can I come in first?"

Alejandro swallowed but nodded. "Yes, of course." He stepped back and shut the door behind the both of them.

Heather folded her arms. "So are we just going to pretend that last weekend didn't happen?"

"¿Qué?" He awkwardly tugged at his collar to keep from soaking it with his sweat. Dios mío, how is she making me sweat this much?

"Do you need me to refresh your memory?" Heather glared at him with fierce eyes, but a blush was forming behind her cheeks.

"There—" Alejandro cleared his throat. "There is no need for that, señorita. I remember very well what happened, but I thought we agreed not to do it again."

"Yes, we did. And we're not right now. I just...I wanted to talk to you about it." She picked at the edges of the green textbook in her arms.

He sighed. "Look, Heather, I think it's best if we don't talk about it at all. We really need to keep our relationship with each other professional."

Heather laughed sarcastically. "Oh, like you did with Katie?"

"—What? What are you even talking about?"

"Don't play dumb, Alejandro. I know what happened between you and Katie the other day. When she asked to see you after class."

"Qué?!" Alejandro looked at her in horror. "You...think I did something with her after class?! Heather, I don't just hook up with my students!"

She scoffed. "You had no problem when it was me!"

"That was a one-time thing!" He blushed. "I never planned to."

"You could've 'not planned' it with Katie too!" Heather accused.

Alejandro rubbed the bridge of his nose, sighing with exhaustion. "I never did anything with her. O-Only with you." His face went hot. "There. Conversation over." He let his left hand fall to his desk.

Heather shook her head, her eyes sharply darting to the side. She could've done a walk of shame out the door, or just nod and ask for help on a homework question, but her stubborn mind didn't want to let it go. "Why are you avoiding this like the fucking plague, huh?!" She riposted.