-17-

Song: Secret

Artist: Chelsea Lankes

*~*~*~*~*

One week later~

Heather sat up straight at her desk, smiling. Today was the day Alejandro came back to teach. Heather had texted him all week after he was discharged from the hospital and even brought him food a couple of times. She would have visited him every day, but his family was there most of the time. Besides, she didn't want to constantly be in his face because she figured he wanted to take things slow with her.

Courtney eyed Heather suspiciously. She had never seen her so—cheerful. It was suspicious. "Did something great happen recently?" She asked Heather.

"Hm?" Heather didn't seem to be paying any attention.

"You look happy. It's weird," Courtney pointed out.

"So? Why can't I be happy, Courtney?" She shrugged.

"—Ok, whatever." Courtney turned her attention back to the emails on her laptop.

Alejandro walked into the room on crutches. "Hola, everyone. I am so glad to be back! As you probably know, I was in a car accident last week. Luckily, I just have a broken leg."

"Oh my gosh, I'm so glad he's ok," a girl squealed to her friends.

"We're so glad you're ok, Professor!" Samantha beamed, twirling her hair. Alejandro gave her a curt nod, not giving her any verbal response.

Heather snuck a smile at Alejandro, and he subtly smiled back. "I graded your homework assignments from two days ago at home. If you don't mind, come up when I call your name. Katie," he began.

Courtney sighed and turned to Heather. "So, Duncan and I got into a fight a couple of days ago, and neither of us has spoken to each other since."

What a surprise, Heather thought. "Did he cheat on you again?"

"What? No. He only cheated once. We fought because I was trying to help him with his homework, and he wasn't listening to me at all! It's like he doesn't even want to graduate college!"

"I'm surprised he's even at college in the first place. No offense."

"No, no. It's true. I'm surprised too. But he can do anything he puts his mind to. He just doesn't believe in himself. He could really be a great lawyer one day. Or a police officer. Just imagine how great our careers would go together," Courtney sighed dreamily.

Heather raised a brow. Duncan as a police officer? If that ever happens, I might as well be the nicest person alive.

"Heather," Alejandro called. She stood up, holding in more smiles. "Great job," he told her as he handed her the paper. "I left a note on the second page," he whispered.

She looked at him weirdly but grinned. "Ok. I'll read it once I sit down," she winked. Alejandro nodded.

Heather turned to the second page. In the upper right corner, the note read:
First date tonight under the stars and hot chocolate?
She immediately blushed and quickly folded the first page over the second. She already knew her answer.

As Alejandro lectured, Heather found it hard to concentrate. She kept thinking about how excited she was about their date. And although Alejandro kept a professional façade, he couldn't stop thinking about Heather. He felt like he was falling in love for the first time again.

Class ended, and Heather texted Alejandro as she walked out with Courtney: My answer is yes. But who's going to drive since you have that cast?