6

I looked to Matthew, who was equally worried. "Are you okay?" He asked. I breathed out and nodded. "Yes. I think it helped me a little, too, hearing his voice again," I spoke.

"Oh! There are some recent videos!" Matthew spoke. He quickly walked to the box where papa found the video in. He rummaged through it and cheered as he pulled something out. "I forgot about this! But dad wanted me to add a bunch of his videos onto a file so he could make it into a disk!" He explained.

Matthew quickly switched the disks, and I looked at the cover of the tray thing. It said twenty-twenty. "It was when everyone had to stay inside for covid, and he was recording us! Do you remember?" Matthew asked.

I knew what he was talking about.

Matthew started the video, and immediately the first one was of our dad. I smiled, seeing him again. He looked like I remembered him. The wedding video showed him much younger, so this was nice. "Testing, testing! Let's see what the family is up to now!" Our dad laughed. He had his usual khakis and sweater on.

The video continued to play, and he walked up to Matthew's old room. "Knock, Knock!" Our dad laughed. "Who's there," Matthew laughed. I looked at him, annoyed at the joke, and he continued to smile. "What? It was funny at the time!" He laughed.

"I'm doing a video to show us through covid! Do you have anything to say?" Dad asked.

"Yes! I am doing my English work, then math! Do you want me to record you?" Matthew asked. "Nah! This is for you!" Dad laughed. We could see his reflection through Matthew's mirror, and he waved.

"Should we bother Alfred?" Dad suggested. "Yes! I haven't messed with him all day!" Matthew cheered. I rolled my eyes and started to laugh.

I continued to watch, and they began to skip to my room. "Here, hold it," our dad spoke. He handed the camera to Matthew, and Matthew pointed it at him. "Knock, knock?"

"Yeah! Come in!" I heard myself yell.

"What is this?" Matthew and I suddenly turned our heads, and our papa was standing in the doorway, looking at the television. "This was an old disk dad wanted me to help him with. It was during our quarantine," Matthew explained.

I remember this day now, that night, papa made burgers. Our papa continued to watch and slowly took a seat. "What are you doing?" I saw myself ask. I looked so done with them, and it was funny.

"We are making a video; how are your academics?" Dad asked. "Good, this is just annoying! I'd rather play video games," past me laughing. I did want to play video games at the time. I wanted to do anything but schoolwork.

Our dad used one of my hairbrushes as a microphone and pointed it at me. "Tell us more!" He laughed. He must have been bored that day. "ARTHUR! Whoa! Full party in here!" Papa suddenly came into the room, and I looked at everyone, annoyed.

"So, family meetings will be in Alfred's room now?"

"No! Why are all of you in here anyway?"

"Why not!"

Matthew pointed the camera at our parents, and our papa began to hold our dad from behind. He was rocking him sideways, and they started lifting their legs as they tilted to each side. "How about Mattie's room? He never lets me in!"

"Because! You are like a child with sticky hands! Somehow you either mess up everything, or objects get sticky! How is that possible? Where have your hands been?!" Matthew spoke.

We all laughed, and I began to shove my hands in Matthew's face.

~

When the video ended, papa kept smiling. "I'm glad we found these. Do we have more?" Papa asked. "Yeah! We do! Dad made a whole bunch!" Matthew explained. "Oh, nice! Now I have something to do when you both go back to school on Monday," papa smiled.

"When do you go to work?" Matthew asked. "The week after, you both go to school. They wanted to give me time to settle before I had to go to work. They know our reason for moving. They have been beneficial, and I think I will like it," papa smiled.

He made a living as an editor. He primarily works with books, and he has always done that. Before our dad passed, he was in the British Armed Forces. There are even some pictures of him in his fancy uniform. I think that after I graduate, I would like to be in the military. Whether it be for here or back in the UK, I don't think it matters much to me.

"Wow, Monday we start. Hopefully, we don't run into our neighbors," Matthew spoke.

"Ah! Yes! If anything happens between them, you need to let me know! Alfred! Don't be fighting! You need to be on your best behavior! We are immigrants in a new country, and I don't need immigration called on us before we get our green cards," papa warned.

"Yes, I know! I defended. It isn't like I'll look for a fight!"

"You better not!"

"Can I still say something back? I don't want them thinking I'm a pushover," I spoke. It was true, and I didn't want them thinking they could walk over me. "Hmm, fine! But don't hit first! Remember, self-defense is okay!"

"PAPA!" Matthew gasped. I laughed and nodded at papa. We all knew those kids could be trouble for us. If they did anything to me, I wouldn't care. However, I would kill them if they tried to push Mattie around. I'll risk it all! Deportation! Jail! I'll fuck them up!

Girl or guy!

Equal rights! Equal Fights!

"Yes! No fight, Alfred! That's a warning, and I don't want to repeat myself," papa spoke. "Yes! I know, I know!"

"Yeah, I do not want to get you out of trouble again!" Matthew spoke, rolling his eyes. Wow! They make it seem like I'm the troublemaker. I smiled at Matthew and began to throw my weight at him. "Carry me!" I whined.