°•° 3 °•°

I stared out the tall windows as I sat on the grey carpet, cross legged. Though it was the middle of the night, the world around me was busy, as always. I had grown up in NYC and was used to the constant movement and noise. The lights were bright even at one a.m. but it was all normal for me.

The only thing I didn't like about my home was how hard it was to see the stars. If there wasn't a skyscraper in the way of the sky, then the lights drowned out the natural light of the stars. We had never had an entire city power outage but I almost wished there would be one at some point. Just so that I could see the sky clearly for once.

I shifted my seating for the first time in hours, pulling my legs up and resting my elbows on my knees. My feet tingled as they slowly gained blood again, but I ignored the weird feeling. There were much more pressing feelings rumbling around inside of me.

It had been two days since Abigail was born and I hadn't seen her or my sister since. The doctors were being very cautious as they treated them, not letting anyone, not even family, see them. I knew it must be destroying Kaybree, who didn't do well by herself for long periods of time, especially when she was so emotionally unstable. After everything with Dilan had gone down, I had let her stay in my apartment as she went through the trials of pregnancy and all the other medical conditions that she put herself through.

On top of the morning sickness, I caught her throwing up after almost every meal. I caught her locking herself in her closet. If it hadn't been for the baby, I didn't doubt that she would have tried to kill herself.

I hated Dilan with all of my being for making her that way.

I was the only person that seemed to fix any of it. Slowly, I got her to eat one meal a day without feeling bad about it, telling her that if she didn't eat, her baby would die. Even though one meal still wasn't enough, it was better than nothing. I also finally convinced her to go to a therapist. I wasn't sure how much it helped, but it was a step in the right direction.

But now, I was scared all of the progress that I had made with her was fizzling away. She was alone and sick. And there was nothing I could do to help her.

I released my clenched jaw slowly as pain spiked through my teeth. With a growl, I swiped my hand through my hair. It was greasy on my fingers since I hadn't taken a shower in days, but I didn't care. I wasn't leaving the hospital. I had promised Kaybree.

My parents stayed here all day but had decided to go home at night so that they could get some rest. They made me swear to call them immediately if there was any news or if the doctors let Kaybree have visitors. I had promised, despite being upset with them for leaving. I knew they hadn't promised Kaybree to stay. But they were our parents...

I shook my head. I needed to stop thinking like that. They had lives and jobs outside of this. They were doing as much as they could.

And I guess I had a life outside of this, too, though at the moment it didn't feel like it. I had missed today's classes and would probably miss several more. But Rico was a smooth talker and I was sure he delivered my sob story just right and made the professors have extra grace for me.

As I stared out at the city, my mind continued to file through all my worries and questions and anger at Dilan and my parents. It hadn't turned off in days, so I hadn't slept in days either. Which was exhausting, but what could I do?

A shuffling noise broke me from my racing mind and I looked to my left to see a figure walking toward me. I didn't have time to say anything before they plopped down next to me on the carpet.

It was the nurse that had escorted me out of this room earlier that week.

She sat a turkey hospital sandwich and a can of Pepsi in between us. "Sandwich. Pepsi."