Chapter 40

"What we can conclude from last week's events, is that April is experiencing more high level brain activity. Her body was sent into shock, however we were able to stabilize her and keep her from seizing but it's still on her to wake up. What we don't want to do is rush the process because prematurely doing anything could do her more harm than good. Any further manipulation can cause cardiac arrest, due to the analysis of trauma she endured she does need the rest." The doctor explained to Darlene who had her sister Denise on speakerphone.

"Ask him does that mean the seizures will continue once she wakes up, I understand it's a waiting game but what can we expect when she does regain her consciousness?" Denise questioned.

"He can hear you Dee you on speaker." Darlene said.

"We can't confirm or deny that possibility. Her medical records don't conclude anything about previous seizures but her seizing seems to be directly connected to her trauma on a more psychological level. So something related to her trauma could trigger her to seize. Not to mention there is a slim possibility that she could also regain consciousness with short-term memory loss. There is no definite answer Ms. Lanier, so I don't wanna sell you false hope. April's charts are stable and we will continue to monitor her closely." The doctor informed her.

"Okay thank you!" Denise sighed.

"Dee keep yo faith hea' this child gonna be healed. I prayed with her earlier and she gripped my hand, she gone come back to us soon. We both know a lot of things could've took April out but only by God's mercy this child is still here." Darlene preached as she laid hands on April, she was heavily invested in the word of God and you couldn't tell her miracles weren't real.

"I'm just tired Darlene, I am so tiedddd. Between Melanie and Nah'jour I already had my hands full but now if it wasn't enough that she was in prison now I'm worried if I'm gonna be planning April's funeral or being her care giver if she's permanently damaged. Melanie need her mama, the gal just made 17 and I can look in her eyes and see how lost she is. That mama and daddy of hers did a number on her and then I guess I went and screwed her up some more." Denise sobbed feeling weary.

"Listen to me Dee! And you listen good! We raised these chern right, the best way we knew how they might not have come up in the best environment but they was brought up with good morals and common sense.. you can't put this on you. Cause Lord knows they did wrong on they own. As hard as we tried sometimes things just conform to their environment, sometimes we get too comfortable. It ain't just start with them. You remember how hard mama and daddy fought like hell to keep Marvin and Steven out of that street life. It damn near killed them when Marvin got sent to prison and Steven got murdered but they stayed strong. They did it for us. Denise this hea' is generational curses, it's hard to fight against what seems like second nature even if you know the consequences." Darlene spoke nothing but the truth.

"I know Darlene I know but sometimes all I can do is question myself on what I could've did different, ya know? I thought maybe Lani and Nyny was my redo, of April and Tony ya know? But these guhdamn chern is hell on wheels. They the same if not worst, I got one on house arrest, the another one a wanna be a damn street fighter I just can't— WHO THE HELL RANGING AT MY DAMN DOE LIKE DAT NIE?" Denise vented, her face quickly drawing a mug at the sound of the consistent ringing of the doorbell.

"They sholl ain't letting up is uh?" Darlene replied hearing the bell ring as Denise walked to the foyer area.

"I swear if these one of Nyny lil friends ima put my foot so far up they ass my toe gone touch they brain. They know damn well ion play allat banging, knocking, or buzzing at my damn door, one time is good uh e-damn-nough." Denise said as she snatched the door open revealing Vonte.