Chapter 2

Penny

I stand in front of the full-length mirror, twirling a little side to side, looking at the beautiful dress Claudette let me barrow for tonight. It really fluctuates my hips with every movement of my body. We have different body types, her a little bigger than I am around the waste and tummy area. She says it's her "muffin Lovin," meaning in her words "God gave her some extra love and meat on her bones for a man to really grab ahold of and appreciate."

That thought makes me smile, she's always been the type to boast, not caring that she has a little extra weight. Although, to be honest I don't see that when I look at her. I only see a beautiful raven-haired beauty; her father is Mexican and her mother full-blooded Italian. Although, the Italian side I think won out as she looks a lot like her Aunt Lilly.

She has a darker shade skin color, raven hair, and deep mahogany brown eyes. I idolize her for the body she has. I pale in comparison I feel personally. I'm a red headed, freckled, skinny Minnie. The only thing I have going for me is my birthing hips and larger breasts. Looking closer at me, I know that's not entirely true. I do have gorgeous grey blue eyes, and my hair is a light red with a natural blonde streak. I keep it on the shorter side now, before when I lived under my father's thumb, I wasn't allowed to cut it at all. It was well past my butt, and now I have it to my shoulders.

"You look absolutely stunning." I hear Lilly say from the door. Looking into the mirror I can see the truth shining in her eyes looking back at me. "The both of you are gorgeous girls. How did I get so lucky to have the two of you?" She asks with a big smile on her lips.

Lilly is thirty years old, and she lived alone until her sister died in a car crash. Since her sister's ex, Claudette's father hadn't been in the picture since she was a baby, Lilly took the responsibility of her eight-year-old niece. Of course, almost two years ago I came along, and now she tells me her family is complete. She has two beautiful and intelligent girls that are like her daughter's, she has her own bookshop, and our own little three-bedroom house. Life is good in her eyes.

"Thank you! I'm guessing Claudette is all set too?" I ask her as I turn around to face her. She rolls her eyes at me, "Is that a trick question?" She gives me her famous lopsided grin. Lilly is someone who has a kind heart and beautiful soul, I feel guilty we lied to her about where we are going tonight. She thinks we are heading off to dinner and the movies with a group of Claudette's friends.

Part of that is true, one or two of Claudette's friends are meeting us, but it's not for a movie or dinner. No, we are going to the new hot club tonight, one that you're only allowed to go to if your twenty-one and older. I bite my lip thinking of the disappointing look along her face if she were to find out.

Lilly has been great to me over the years, which is why I almost feel like making an excuse not to go, but one look at Claudette behind her aunt lets me know she won't let me do that. "I'm ready thank you very much." She walks in and stands beside her aunt, sticking out her chin. "I will let you know I've been ready for the last ten minutes. I have just been on the phone with Daisy and Monique." She places one hand along her hip as it juts out.

Lilly looks at me and rolls her eyes, as she coughs in her hand trying to hide her giggle. "Yes, I'm sorry. We know you don't take long to get ready. Our bad, honest." She holds up her hands to concede. "Sure, you do." Claudette playfully shoves her aunt's shoulder as she straightens her body and walks further into my room.

"Girl! You look vivacious." She claps her hands enthusiastically before wrapping her arms around me in a tight hug. When she pulls back, I see she has her phone in one hand, turning around she stands beside me as I watch her lift it in the air. "Say we will be having a fabulous time." She giggles as she scrunches our bodies close together and snaps a selfie.

When she looks at the pic, she looks like a schoolgirl that just got asked to prom. "Oh yes! I am printing this one out later and adding it to my wall." This girl is obsessed with pictures. Her entire wall in her room is nothing but pictures she takes of the three of us and a few other close friends.

"Okay, we should try to get going. Don't want to miss out on the previews and popcorn." She says out loud as she shoots me a subtle wink. Before turning around, grabbing my hand, and walking us past her aunt. I look back at Lilly, seeing her wave us goodbye she shouts after us, "be safe and make sure your phones are on in case I need to reach you." I see Claudette shoot her a thumbs up as she opens the front door, and we make our way to her car.

Once we are buckled up, she pulls from the driveway. I sit there watching in the mirror as our house gets smaller the further, we drive away. "Calm down girl. I promise you this will be a fun night." She tabs my leg with her hand, as I lean my head back along my seat and close my eyes.

When I open them again, I feel confused as I'm no longer in Claudette's car, but I'm in the woods once more. I still have on the tight black dress that she let me barrow, and the high heel shoes on my feet. I know I must have fallen asleep again, but for some reason something feels different. Looking around, I don't feel like I need to be running away. I feel completely calm, which doesn't bode well for me in other ways.

"You look beautiful." Hearing his voice, I quickly turned around. I must latch onto a nearby tree to steady myself, so I don't fall from the sudden dizziness I feel. Once I get my bearings, I look up and see Zane, leaning against a tree close by. He's not in his wolf form, but all man right now. As I study him closely, I see his eyes are yellow, and they are perusing my body from head to toe.

A soft growl leaves his throat, causing me to take a step back, which makes him abandon his position from the tree and move closer to me. "Don't run." He warns me. His words causing me to freeze in my spot. "My wolf is close to the forefront, but I'm trying to remain calm so we can talk." Meaning, he's trying to remain in his human form.

"What do you want exactly?" I swallow the words along with my fear. I have heard rumors that he has become the best tracker in the pack. Causing me to believe he is after me to force me back home, for me to be married off to whoever my father feels worthy.

"Isn't it obvious?" He tilts his head to the side as a devilish smile form along his lips. "If it were obvious, I wouldn't be asking." I don't know what possessed me to do it, but my voice comes out forceful and a little sarcastic.

He laughs a humorless laugh, "Oh little wolf, how I will have my fun with you." He looks away from me a moment, as though he can hear something in the distance. When he looks back at me, his eyes are fully brown. "See you very soon little wolf." He shoots me a wink.

I open my mouth to say something, but a loud horn honking has me jumping in my seat. "What the...." I look over at Claudette who has an annoyed look on her face.

"Come on move your ass." She's yelling and honking at the cars ahead of us. "What's going on?" She shakes her head in dismay, "some dogs are in the middle of the road up ahead. We are all honking, trying to get them to move, but it doesn't seem to be working."

Fear brings ice to my veins, as I work through what she just said. Looking out the windshield, I see four huge dogs, who look more like wolves prowling in the middle of the road. I can see that to her human eyes, because it's so dark she can't see just how big they are, but with my Werewolf sight I can. Which tells me just what I need to know. They aren't only dogs in the middle of the road, nor are they mere wolves. They are Were's and judging by the look in the black and grey wolf's yellow eyes in the front he found just who he was looking for. Licking his lips, has my heart stop, and all the air exhaling from my lungs in one large breath. He's here.