Getting in character

Hunters pov:

"Now that you mention it your right." Hunter said after a pause.

Edric looked over at me.

"We need to get in character. Nobody's going to believe any of this if we don't practice couple stuff- especially Willow."

"Uh yeah..." Edric said, eyes wide, "Why don't we go on a date? You know, if people see us in public together it will add to our... Credibility?"

"Edric your a genius!" I gasped, my stomach fluttering. "Lets go to town right now! Wait I don't really know anything about dates, you're going to have to teach me."

"Of course." Edric said. "Plus how are you going to date willow if you don't know how to do things properly?"

"Thanks Edric." I grinned. Edric looked away, wincing a little. I raised an eyebrow but brushed it off.

. . .

In town we walked down the main street, admiring the various stands and chatting about random topics, listening to the bard coven perform for the crowds. 

Somehow, even in the chaos of bonesburrow I was acutely aware of our hands still intertwined.

“Hey Edric?” 

“Yeah?” He replied, looking at me,

“Do you think Willow would like this?” I asked, redirecting his attention to a small butterfly brooch. 

“Its nice I guess.” He said. “Your thinking of gifts already? Your not dating yet.”

“Thats kind of weird of you to say- don't you want me to be prepared?” 

Edric shrugged, looking away. “Thats not what I meant.” He said, “I mean . . . Nevermind, whatever.” 

“Okay.” I said with a shrug, still feeling a little confused. “I guess the brooch can wait.” 

“Can we get some food?” Edric said, “I can pay.” 

“Sure!” I said, brushing away the awkward tension. “What are you thinking?” 

Edrics pov: 

At the pastry stand we got a plate of tarts, sitting down at a nearby table. 

“Hey Hunter!” Willow said, spotting us and walking up to the tables, “Hey Edric! What are you two doing here?”

“Were on a date.” I said, silently hoping she wold leave us alone. Not because I disliked Willow of course, just because as soon as she said hi Hunter smiled. 

He smiled at her. 

I furrowed my brow, shoving away the jealous thoughts. He smiled at me too. 

My heart stung a little. He did smile. Just not like that. 

A look flashed across willows face. “A date?”

“Yup.” Hunter said, going along with it. “Why?” 

“You move on quick.” She grinned, “Im happy for you bro.” 

I glanced over at hunter, whos face dropped significantly before he forced another smile. “Heh thanks.” 

I suddenly felt bad. I was supposed to be helping him! Why was I being so selfish?

“Hes a great boyfriend.” I said, “Your really missing out.” 

Willow laughed, “Sure I am. Anyway Im off to see skara. You two have fun!” 

With that the plant witch waved goodbye and went on her way. 

We watched her go, each waiting for the other to speak. 

“Do you think it worked?” I asked, breaking the silence. 

A determined look crossed Hunters face. “Yeah.” 

“Yeah?” 

“Did you see her face? I think shes jealous.” 

Did you see my face? I was jealous. Of course you didn't see me though. You were looking at her. 

Hunter was smart, but not when it came to reading peoples emotions I guess. Cant say I blame him- its a struggle for me sometimes too, but I did know one thing for sure. Willows face was not one of jealousy. 

At lest thats what I was hoping. 

__________________

Hi readers!