Ch 21

Percy could hear papers shuffling as he poured their coffee and his mind drifted back to Piper. He sincerely hoped she was happy, no matter who she ended up with. She deserved it as much as anyone.

Annabeth was already deep into her sketches by the time he handed her the mug of coffee. She thanked him and he kissed her shoulder before settling down next to her. It only took a few moments before she hands him a map, his silent cue to get to work. It's Camp Half-Blood. There are repairs to be made and cabins to be built. Even if they can't be there all the time, it's still their home. It's where their story started. Where they fell in love.

They work until their coffee has gone cold and Annabeth leaves to freshen their cups. Percy pulls out an old sketch with words scribbled all over it. He had to smile. Jason's dream lives on.

As Annabeth came back, they heard the baby stir on the monitor they'd carried with them. She set the mugs down and turned to leave, but Percy stopped her. His hand was gentle on the nape of her neck; lips at her temple.

"Stay."

He quickly warmed a bottle and managed to scoop up his son just before his cries got any louder. The boy was strong and healthy. A perfect mixture of his parents. Though Annabeth had only experienced a few minor incidents with powers during her pregnancy, Jason hadn't shown any signs of powers since his birth. There was a possibility that being a child of two demigods wouldn't mean anything, but time would only tell. They'd worry about him sleeping through the night before they worried about him having powers.

"Mom's working, so you're stuck with me, little dude." Jason's gray eyes were wide and alert as Percy cradled him in his arms. "I've got the good stuff, though."

The baby drank greedily and Percy reveled in the warmth of his son against his chest. He couldn't imagine not being here. Not having his son in his arms. Poseidon had made an appearance just after Jason's birth...as did Athena. They were both at the hospital in New Rome until they'd started arguing and Sally asked them to leave. That was the last time Percy saw his father. Sometimes he prayed to him or asked for guidance, but there wasn't often a response. He didn't care, though. Percy had plenty of parents, good parents, to give him advice and help him when he needed it. He and Annabeth didn't lose sleep over their godly parents not being in the picture. No, they lost sleep over their baby not sleeping through the night. (And their friends on missions or the fate of the universe in general.) But Percy didn't think too much about Poseidon lately. He wasn't that scared little demigod who needed his father's approval anymore.

He was the father now. And he had everything he needed.