Chapter Ten

I finished curling Mums hair and stood back. She looked lovely, the simple green dress was not to casual but not to formal either. She had on black tights and black heels and went into the wardrobe to get out her white and black polka dot scarf.

"I really don't know about leaving you tonight" she hesitantly went down stairs, the argument we've been having since getting home about to start up again.

"It'll be fine. Don't worry ok? You look lovely" I smiled encouragingly and thankfully her excitement of going out tonight was able to outweigh the worry she had towards me. At seven on the dot Philip Fournier stood on our doorstep, dressed in a suit jacket, collared cotton shirt and jeans. I handed Mum her black trench and then they were gone. I went and curled up on the sofa besides James, my mind elsewhere as I thought back to this afternoon. What had spooked Eric? 'Parker' came the voice; I bit my lip frowning, as I knew it would probably be true. I shivered, an uneasy feeling filling me.

"What's wrong?" James asked, sensing my mood. I flicked the TV off, leaving the room in darkness now. I held my finger up to my lips "sssh" I whispered. He nodded, and I got up cautiously. Silence. "Upstairs" I mumbled and lead James up to his room.

Thankfully his curtains were already drawn. Looking at his face I could tell he was scared. I gave him a hug, "I want you sit up here in the corner and be quiet until I come back" I said softly to him. He nodded and went and sat on the single sofa chair set up as a reading corner, grabbing one of the few teddies he still had to keep with him. For some reason I didn't want him to be on the bed, if someone was around and a threat, it would be the first place they would look for him. I wasn't sure where that thought came from and as quietly as I could manage closed his door. I stood on top of the staircase closing my eyes. 'Ok wolfie, why am I freaking out' I thought, my ears straining to hear anything out of the ordinary. Silence. I waited for a few more minutes and blaming my over active imagination was about to back to James's room when I heard the steady thuds of footsteps coming towards the house. 'Oh shit' I thought, a warm feeling of reassurance came from within and I knew my wolf would help me out. This was something I could get used to. I crept down the stairs, more agile than I think I had ever been in my life. Keeping to the shadows, I had never been more thankful of the black sweatpants and hoodie I had on helping to disguise me in the dark.

I pressed myself against the kitchen cupboard, like I had the night before when I had been eavesdropping on Mum and Margaret. Carefully looking out the kitchen window Parkers black and grey wolf was coming. I thought of the cloak she had put on the house, would it stop him from finding me like it had with William? He was at the house now, coming around to the front door. I crouched low near the hallway so I couldn't be seen from the kitchen, eyes wide I stared at the door as if that alone would stop him from coming in. In the curtain covered glass panel of the wooden door the silhouette of Parker as a man appeared, his knocks soon echoing through the house. I held my breath, hoping he wouldn't hear the hammering of my heart instead. He stopped and disappeared from the door, listening to his human steps he seemed to be checking out the lounge window and then the kitchen before coming and knocking again.

"Beth? Are you home??" He called, a hint of frustration in his tone. The second I considered opening the door, my body refused to listen, 'No!' the voice scolded. Gulping I stayed low, fearful of what would happen next. Would he leave?

He had changed to his wolf again, his breathing coming in heavy pants, his steps lighter as he moved around the house, obviously looking for a way in. From the base of the front door the sound of sniffing was heard, the wolfs nose pressed against the doorframe. Minutes later he was a man again,

"Beth, are you there darling? I think you are hiding from me," he sounded more amused now, as if this was a game. In a way it was. He started to pound on the door now, just when I think it was about to come off its hinges Margaret appeared.