Chapter Twenty One

Once we landed at Heathrow and had our luggage I wasted no time in finding a taxi. It was nearly ten thirty and while our grandparents were not early to bed people I decided to wait until morning going them. Half an hour later we pulled up outside the only hotel I found a vacancy, booking it on my phone on the drive there. Being so close to Christmas most places were full and we had no choice but to go with the Premier Suite. I wasn't complaining, I had missed this kind of luxury. The concierge led us to our room, and as he turned the lights on for us James followed him like a lost puppy, amazed at the room. He had never been some where like this before. Once alone we raided the mini bar and set ourselves up on the cloud like king size bed watching TV.

 "Will Mum join us soon?" James asked sleepily. It was just past twelve and we should be asleep. I nodded, guilt niggling at me as I wasn't entirely sure of that answer. She would know where we went and why I took James but if she would actually come here was another matter. As he yawned I turned the TV off, picking up the junk food wrappers and dumping them in the bin. I looked out the window of the room at the city around us. It was good to be back in a place I knew. At the airport I had grabbed a new sim for my phone and I quickly sent a text to Andrea letting her know we had made it ok and in doing so gave her my new number. I sent another few of my friends who I had kept in contact wit a message I was back and emailed Jocelyn who would be leaving today after year exchange trip in Australia. The timing of my best friends return had been perfect. But for now I crawled into bed with James and with us both exhausted it didn't take long.

After gorging ourselves on the 'complimentary' buffet breakfast we checked out and since I had left my grandfather a voicemail that we were coming soon, I was not surprised to see the sleek black Mercedes waiting for us. Driving past the red double decker buses James had his face glued to the window, looking out in awe. We past our old house and I asked the driver to slow down. The white row of identical buildings with black iron fencing hadn't changed much, the bushes seemed a little over grown but otherwise it was still home. James looked at me blankly and I realized he didn't remember this place. He had been nearly four when Dad died and Mum had moved us out. I thought there would be something. Instead he asked how much longer till we got to our grandparents.  Sighing I asked the driver to continue. I had spent fifteen years of my life there, it was sad to leave, even now.

About fifteen minutes later we had circled the park and now I looked eagerly out of the window as we headed into Mayfair. The familiar sights made me smile and as we stopped outside the old building, the red brick and white windows blending in with the rest of the street. Turning to James he seemed to realize we had arrived too. The driver got out and opened our doors; leaving him to get our luggage I lead James to the front door. I didn't need to knock as Russell their assistant, opened the door. 

"Hey Russ!" I greeted, giving him a quick hug. He looked surprised to see me so maybe my grandparents had kept it quiet. "This is James" Russell smiled and gave a slight bow to my brother causing him to laugh at the formality. Russell had only been hired a couple of years ago and hadn't met him before.

"Miss Lowell, it is jolly good to see you home! Hello there James" He greeted, he signaled to the driver behind us and we entered the lobby. Everything was as I had left it only with the additions of Christmas decorations. The grand bouquet of flowers that sat in the middle of the room was changed every second day and they had always filled the room with a pleasant floral aroma. Russell took our jackets from us to put away. 

"They are up on the room deck Miss Lowell" Russell informed me, referring to my grandparents. I looked at him amused.

 "I've only been gone for not even year. You know to call me Beth!" I scolded. He laughed and nodded

"Well if you've been carrying on all over Europe I was not sure if some class had instilled itself in you" he mocked, more casual now. I never could never get used to the life my Dads family was accustomed too and made sure they didn't treat me as they were instructed.