Chapter Thirty Seven

Leaving the cottage my head instantly tilted up to the clear night sky. Uninterrupted by city lights the stars twinkled like diamonds above, the moon was full and orange straight above us. Above us. I looked to William as we walked towards the gate; he seemed so relaxed it felt out of place.  Something in front of us caught my attention and I stopped in my tracks. From the gate a row of candles stood out from the snow and in front of us a small camp fire was set up at the end of the trail. At my refusal to move he kept walking, pulling me along.

"Stop! It must be a trap!" I whispered forcefully at him, tugging back on his arm. He rolled his eyes and stopped, turning back to face me.

"Do you trust me?" he asked softly, his hand coming up to gently cup my face in his hands. Reluctantly I nodded as my mind was screaming at me to run. "Come on" He continued walking and I moved against his side, holding onto his arm rather than his hand, looking around us cautiously. We walked over to the campfire and he paused, looking around for something.

"Come on" I urged and kept trying to walk towards the forest. But he didn't move. A flash of regret passed his features before his face hardened, losing any sign of emotion. I opened my mouth to speak as tingles in my chest turned to an ache, my body had already healed my previous injuries and the new pain was unexpected and intense. Not able to brace myself, I dropped clutching my chest, gasping as it got worse. But as soon as it started it stopped, looking up Eileen and Mum appeared looking smug yet I could see the annoyance in Mums eyes.

"Run William!" I gasped, able to get control of my speech again. He needed to get out of here and their arrival was not good news. Instead he walked over to them heading around the fire to where they stood. Their voices were quiet and I couldn't hear what was being said. I managed to stand up and looked for an escape. Getting the guys involved seemed like my only plan but I couldn't risk them getting hurt. Mum moved from the discussion coming over to me. I squared my shoulders and crossed my arms over my chest, glaring at her. A half smile seemed to appear on her face as she looked me over.

"Well my Elizabeth, if things could be different, I'd almost be proud of you" she sneered. I didn't bother responding until I saw William move back into the house.

"Let him go, whatever your plan is just leave him out of it" I begged. He had already suffered so much at the hands of my ancestors. He didn't deserve this. She looked at me as trying to see if I was serious before she started laughing. My hands dropped to my side as my jaw opened slightly in shock.

"You really are a stupid girl" she snapped and moved back to Eileen as William reappeared dragging an unconscious Parker behind him. My heart fell to my feet at the sight, he was pretty beat up, and I had nothing on him when I had been chained up. His face was purple and with no jacket on, his arms were cut and bloodied. William dumped his body between where I stood and the other two, smirking as he did so.

"Wake him up" he commanded and nodding my Mum held out her hand, moving it up slightly Parker gasped awake. He was quick to look around and I knew he had attempted to shift. I felt his anger when he realized he couldn't. He was to weak.

William stood above him glaring down; grabbing him by the shirt he lifted him up off the snow. Parker attempted to shove him off but his energy was gone. Instantly I ran over, grabbing Williams arm in attempt to get him to let go. In a swift movement I was tossed aside landing beside the fire as the heat from the flames warmed my skin. Looking up Mum smirked at me and I knew she had been the one to do it.

"Well little brother let us see how you like watching your mate die," he growled, roughly throwing him back down to the earth. As his words sunk in fear rolled around my stomach and I felt dizzy as nausea threatened to make whatever was left in my stomach come out. Did he hate me that much because of what happened with Parker and me, he wanted to kill me?