Chapter Seven

"Ladies and Gentleman, if I could have your attention please." The conductor addressed the room, as the music silenced so did everyone, all eyes turning to the stage. Eric paused our entry into the ballroom as he listened.

"Maybe it would be time for you to go home?" He suggested hopefully. Confused but knowing I had had enough of this craziness I nodded.

"I guess you're right" I answered, Derrick and Andrea looked us confused and as Andrea went to speak the conductors voice sounded out again.

"Sir would like to say a few words" he explained to his now captivated audience, clapping as the crowd soon joined in as a greeting to the host of the night who was now taking the stage. The tingly sensation started in my chest again and before I knew what I was doing, I moved over to the ballroom entrance. The dark haired man climbed up the stairs, waving to his guests as he had the microphone handed to him.

"William" I gasped, not realizing I had said his name until I saw the look Eric was sending me. How did I not put two and two together? How many Williams did I know of?

"Thank you all for coming this evening. I like to keep the tradition of a winter ball as my ancestors have done of the years as thanks to the people of the county. As you can see times have changed but I do enjoy having these events and keeping in touch with the locals. I hope you will enjoy yourselves tonight" He nodded and raised his glass and more clapping erupted from the crowd. The whole time he was on stage he seemed distracted, his eyes scanning over the faces as if seeking someone. Finally looking up he made eye contact, relief at seeing me filling his features as a smirk appeared before he noticed Parker had returned and was now standing beside me. If looks could kill, he would be dead. The atmosphere around me changed then. I moved from Parker before he could grab me, heading to where Derrick and Andrea seemed completely clueless as to what was going on. They weren't the only ones.

"I'm going. I have a headache. Please tell Mum" I quickly stammered, heading to the coat check Eric already held my coat as I felt Parker behind me, Tweedle Dum was beside him.

"Parker" he called, I didn't stop as I grabbed my coat, tying it quickly around me as the doorman opened the door. As he closed it, I knew I wasn't being followed anymore and quickly spied my escape. A line of taxis waited in the cold night, the heat from their exhaust rising into the darkness in a perfect line from the queue. The driver was quick flick off his taxi light on the roof as the valet opened the door. Safe inside the driver pulled out, the crunch of the gravel heard over the hum of his engine as he followed the curve of the driveway around the large fountain that stood in all its glory at the entrance. Heading down the straight towards freedom I dared turned back to find a figure standing in the front door, the light inside around him making it to hard to see him, that and I was to far away. But I knew who it was. William. As if he could see me, I quickly turned, pulling up the hood on my jacket as if that would hide me from view, feeling cold despite the heat from the front of the car that had filled the whole space.

"So how was your night," the driver asked innocently as we cruised down the highway back towards town and home.

"Ah it was nice. Boring really" I lied, my head running through the evening in fast forward trying to piece everything together. The driver nodded as if understanding and thankfully he kept quiet the rest of the way. Finally home I paid his fee and headed inside.

"Wow, you look lovely Beth" Lucy greeted, getting up from the sofa. It was only eleven thirty and uncertain on what time we would be home, Mum arranged for her to stay the night. The TV was on low from the front room and James would be sound asleep by now.

"Thanks Lucy. How was James?" I put my coat in the closet in the entry and kicked off my heels.

"Fine, he is an angel," I laughed; my brother was anything but, at least when it was my turn to look after him.