Chapter Twelve

The sun was warm and the aroma of pine from the nearby forest filtered through the village. Carrying her basket the girl was feeling quite warm and decided to stop to take of her red coat. With spring taking over the winter cold was weakening and soon she would have no use of her beloved coat. Folding it gently she removed the freshly picked flowers and laid the coat in the bottom. Shaking the last of the dirt from the stems she laid on top and carried on home.

"Penny" Lucas called, running over to her from where he was altering the sign out the front of his father's butcher shop.

"Hello Lucas" she smiled at him as he approached.

"What have you been doing in the woods today?" he asked curiously, looking into her basket the flowers were obvious yet the opportunity to talk to her was not going to be passed.

"Picking flowers, here" she pulled out a yellow tulip which he gratefully took.

"I shall treasure it always" he joked. She playfully hit his arm causing him to laugh as she walked away. He quickly ran to catch up to her when Matthew, his distant cousin appeared. Lucas didn't really trust Matthew, he bore no resemblance to any one of his family and the way he looked at Penelope fueled a jealously he didn't know was possible to feel.

"Why Cousin, I hope you are not bothering the lady. Penelope you look more beautiful each time I see you" he greeted the pair, smoothly shifting between the couple as he extended his hand to carry her basket. Grateful to lose the burden she passed it to him smiling sweetly. Lucas scowled at himself, disappointed for not doing that first yet Penelope was usually so independent he would expect a slap for offering to help her as Matthew had. He dropped back and watched the pair, Matthew shamelessly flirting with her as her cheeks went pinker with each of his compliments. Her laugh was a feminine giggle, a sound she had never made for him. Finally at her home she offered Matthew a tulip to which he also took.

"Although not as beautiful as you, I shall think of you whenever I see such a fine specimen of a tulip" Penelope was practically swooning as he took her hand, kissing her knuckles lightly. Putting the basket by her front door he nodded goodbye to both and left them alone.

"Why do you look like that?" she asked Lucas once she was able to breathe again. She wasn't sure why Matthew was able to have that effect on her and honestly she didn't like it. Everything about him told her to stay away and considering she had just learnt about werewolves and was not afraid of them, that must mean something!

"Like what?" Lucas asked, slightly embarrassed she had caught his jealously. The look she gave him made it obvious and he sighed.

"I'm sorry, I just don't like him. I know he is meant to be my cousin but I think you should stay away from him, something is not right" There he said it. Penelope had her arms around him before he could register what was happening.

"Silly Lucas. Your cousin is certainly charming but do not worry, that as far as my interests go" She moved back to the door and picked up her basket. It was true. Her interests were very much consumed with the man she went into the woods to see and his large black wolf. Just thinking of him made her cheeks flush pink, her heart started to beat that little faster. Seeing her lost in thought Lucus realized he may still have a chance, she had never paid anyone in town any kind of romantic interest and if she was not interesting in Matthew, then it must be him! A grin broke out on his face.

"I am very glad to hear that Penny. I must return back to the shop but I will see you soon" Penelope waved him goodbye and was about to turn inside, when she noticed Matthew walking towards the woods. Few people went into the forest alone and usually only did so if they had a purpose. This fact pleased Penelope as it meant she would never be caught with her wolf. So what was he doing? Dropping the basket she quickly hurried after him, hiding behind the buildings incase he would look back and see her. They were nearly at the river when he stopped walking and looked around. She ducked behind a tree and waited until his footsteps were heard again. Looking around the tree she threw her hands up to her mouth to stifle the gasp as in the blink of an eye Matthew had transformed into a large black and grey wolf. The creature looked around, sniffing the area. To her relief the wind was blowing to her, not him and finally it trotted away. As soon as she was sure he was gone she ran back home and didn't look back.