Chapter Nineteen

The steady beep echoed around in my mind and all I wanted was for it to stop. Where was it coming from anyway? My eyes fluttered opened, thankful for the dim lighting that greeted me. Looking around I was in hospital. 'How did I get here?' I wondered, trying to sit up a little when a sharp pinch from my hand stopped me. A drip was to my right and the heart monitor beeped steadily beside me explaining the noise. My mouth was dry, and surprisingly I had no aches or pains.  The white walls were bare except for a large floral print in front of me, the curtains drawn on the outside world and few sounds were heard from outside the room. A digital clock was on the cabinet on the left of the bed and it was three am. Vases of flowers sat around it and to busy staring at them I didn't hear the gentle steps of the nurse.

"Miss Lowell?" she gently called, her accent was clearly Scottish.

"I'm Dora Miss Lowell, you're in the hospital. You had a bit of a trip down the stairs dear and hit your head quite hard. The doctor will be here shortly to check on you now you're awake" she smiled warmly at me and I returned the gesture as she shone a light in my eyes and checked a few things on the monitor. Seconds later the older man entered the room; looking tired he was reading something on his clipboard. After a few more checks they were glad no damage seemed to have been done and they'd be keeping me in for another day to monitor, as I'd been unconscious for six days.

"The brain is a funny thing Miss Lowell but you seem to be healing nicely. If you get any dizziness or nausea please let Nurse Dora know immediately. Otherwise we will see about discharging you tomorrow night." He gave a nod to Dora and left.

"You're one popular lass, the amount of men you've had fighting over visiting you is unlike anything I have ever seen" Dora laughed to herself and the comment caught my attention.

"Sorry what?" I asked, my voice breaking and I had to a cough a few times to clear it.

"Well there is that awfully handsome fellow, Will and his friend Marcus. Finn is a bit of a character isn't he; he had all of us in tears yesterday with his stories. Eric and his brother aren't big talkers but they come every visiting hour with Will. That man is stubborn; every time we have to get visitors to leave he puts up such an argument. And Andrea and Derrick are the cutest little lovebirds I ever did see..." I tuned out her cheery voice as she talked about the people in my life. When she started talking about the little boy who came with Andrea I realized she hadn't mentioned my Mum. 

"What about my Mum?" I interrupted. She looked at me surprised for a second and then busied herself with the flowers.

"Oh Will said she has been busy with work but he has been letting her know how you are" she gave me a quick smile and left. Mum hadn't even come to see me in the hospital? What if William had done something to her? The urge to go to the toilet hit me and after calling Dora back in she assisted me to the bathroom. I even convinced her I needed a shower and once she had me back in bed it was nearly five thirty.

"Breakfast comes at seven but if you need anything just buzz" she disappeared pulling the curtain closed behind her. I felt tired, exhausted even but no other aches or pains. I had just settled back into the bed when the curtains opened and closed quickly. My eyes snapped open and seeing Eric I could almost cry. He looked a wreck. He hadn't shaved and his blonde hair was a mess. Bags hung from under his eyes and he looked like he hadn't slept for months.

"Eric!" I exclaimed sitting back up. He looked over me hesitantly, spying the machines beside me before coming over. I put my arms out to hug him and he gladly returned the gesture.

"You had us so worried when you wouldn't wake up. Don't. Do. That. Again" he scolded. I looked at him amused.

 "Well someone had to save your Alpha" he frowned at that, sitting beside me on the bed.