Chapter 4: The Riding crop

The next day, I was awaken by rustling of skirts, the other maids were flustered about something.

"What's wrong?" I asked someone.

"The king once again is having tantrums at the breakfast table! he's been breaking dishes and glasses, the staff doesn't know what to do!" she replied immediately. I quickly dressed and followed her to the dining area.  The dining area was humungous with tables at the side and one particular table at the middle filled with foods. The pillars were built with intricate design as well as the ceiling, and of course the chandeliers! They were crystals and some gems hanging. It was magnificent, but definitely not the sight were an angry king smashing plates and tea cups all over the place. He ruined the view. Some foods were already in the floor but I'm sure it's still edible. He turned towards us and suddenly he shouted, "What are you staring at!" He raised the plate with a grilled fish in it and threw it in our direction. We cringed a little. Not this one! This is quite expensive in our place don't you know? An old man with an air of nobility approached him together with a beautiful woman around forty tried to calm the king but to no avail.

"Calm down you say? Why don't you eat those foods at the floor...yes why not ALL of you eat those foods at the floor!"

He was addressing to us all and the king slumped on his majestic seat. What a horrible man he is! I show him. Finally with much courage I emerged from the crowd of servants and pick up a roasted chicken and began eating. All eyes were on me but I care less, what I want to see are those eyes of him who slowly looked at me with much coldness. My courage began to  falter, the chicken meat formed a lump in my throat, it felt hard to swallow. He finally spoke and said, "Well look who's here, a pig or a dog. Pierre, what is this animal?" he spoke to the old man not removing his eyes upon me.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and clenched my fists, "I'm a human you're highness."

"Oh, this one talks eh Pierre? Maybe we should sell her to a circus or something of that sort."

He played his napkin and then he rose up from his chair.

"fetch my riding crop, immediately!" he ordered.

"but his majesty..." Pierre reasoned out.

"Do I need to repeat myself?"

"No, you're majesty." Pierre ordered a servant boy to fetch the riding crop. The boy ran immediately.

"how's the taste? Is it good?" he flashed a mocking smile at me.

He looked at the crowd of servants and wave his hands to come forward, "Come on, don't be shy. There's still food here." He still wore that smile.

The servants looked at each other in a confused state.

"where's my crop!" he shouted then the boy who was out of breath gave it to Pierre and Pierre passed it to the king.

"I am your master and you judging by your act- is an animal, and what do I do with animals that get to my nerves? I teach them." He quickly gripped the handle and the other end stroke my shoulders. It brought a stinging pain which I hastily covered. Another one hit my left arm and I turned away from him to avoid the crop but once again he hit my back. I can't take this anymore! If I die then I shall die!

I faced him and as he is about to hit me again, I gripped the end of the crop with all of my strength and said, "Stop it! Your highness, You're majesty, my king or whatever you are called! You have no right to decide who I am, because I know who I am. I'm a human. Yes, We are all human and you've been treating us like things! I'm just wondering why all of these people stay loyal to you! If you want to be respected then please show us some respect. For goodness sake you are the King and yet you behave like this!" I shouted with so much emotion that even the king was stunned for a moment.

Silence.

The king was the first to recover from my sudden outburst.

"Marion, please show this one how she must be treated, in her rightful and appropriate place." He gritted his teeth with every word and exited the room.

*The king is so mean!! (whispers) Let's see where they taking her. (follows the guards and the poor Katarina)

-Fretzene