Chapter 20: unexpected turn of events

Katarina:

After listening to Erik, I stormed off to see the king but the guards won't let me enter! They said that he doesn't want to see me. Hah! That horrible king! I gave up confronting him and went to the couple to give some lessons.

"Johan, I must leave you and Katarina. I have to see my dearest friend, Leonor in town. I'll be back in an hour." The duchess said and went.

Johan and I began practicing again with our swords in the arena. I have to say he improved a lot for he could beat me the entire time. I kept on attacking him but he could  perfectly dodge the attack.

"let me imitate the king, my lord." I said as I slashed my sword.

"very well then, Lucas. Come here and defeat me."  He backed away and created a stance.

I ran to him and waved my sword, "You can't win in this fight! You are a helpless creature!" I deepened my voice.

"I think not!" he said and pushed me on the sand.

He quickly offered me his hand but I threw some sand at his face and pushed his feet that resulted in him on top of me.

"It seems this is quite a compromising position!" he exclaimed and we both laughed.

"I didn't know you are into servants." A masculine voice interrupted our laughter and the king approached us with a hard expression.

"Oh, we were just practicing." The duke said and got up and offered me his hand but i was yanked on my feet, the king clutched my hair and forced me to look at his face.

"What a conniving wench you are! After me, you are now after him?!" He said loudly that it echoed in the arena.

"release her at once Lucas, you don't know what you're saying!" the duke tried to defend me but was met with the king sword.

"Get off me!" I cried in pain and began hitting his chest.

"Stop it, she's hurting. If I didn't know you are just jealous." The duke said.

"jealous?! How could I be jealous? She's nothing but a mere servant." The king took my chin and looked at me with disdain.

"Release her now or I'll-"

"or what? Let's see now how the wench trained you!" The king pushed me aside and at once I could hear the clanging of the blades.

It seems the match prematurely started! And it's because of me!

The king began attacking right and left but the duke can deflect it.

"You can do it, my lord!" I cheered for the duke but the king became more furious and began swaying his sword with so much speed.

The match lasted for several minutes, It seems the duke is losing and the king was stronger as ever. The duke was kicked sideways leaving him clutching his stomach.

"you're weak and helpless."

The king approached the duke but suddenly the duke remembered what I did to him and threw a fistful of sand to the king. It seems the king was blinded so the duke grabbed the opportunity to hit him in the face and pinned him down with his sword.

"you are now dead. I suppose I win this match." The duke smirked and suddenly the duchess arrived and clapped her hands.

"Oh Johan! You win!" She said and hugged her husband.