Prologue: Deranged

*picture above not mine.

Katarina:

We were treading now the muddy path of who-knows-where. There were huge trees and bushes alongside the road. I looked at those chains that linked to our ankles and wrists that are slowing us down. I clenched my fists as I looked ahead; a stout man driving the small cart dragging us forward; He was quite happy with his task, sometimes he glanced at us showing occasionally his crooked teeth. If I could just get rid of these things! I would make those crooked teeth fall off. My sole blistered by the rough terrain were buried on the mud making it difficult to walk yet I felt a little comfort from the coolness of the mud. It's getting dark now and once again we're going to sleep outside while the two of these bastards will sleep in their makeshift tent. I closed my eyes as I remembered the fire that burned my village.

"Well what have we got here?" I opened my eyes as the second man took the girl's chin and examined it.

"You're quite pretty, aren't you?" he chuckled and continued. "Be ready tonight." He whispered which is barely audible.

The girl became ash-stricken with fear. The man just laughed.

"pick one for me!" the stout man shouted and drank some liquor.

And then suddenly the man turned to my direction.

There's no way this man would come to me! My face was covered with dirt, mud and blood and my hair was all tangled up.

He stood at my side towering over me.

"You got some big-rounds of 'em." He held his unsheathed dagger pointing to my chest.

I quickly swayed both of my arms to his side, setting my fist on his jaws. That's what you get for being sleazy!

The others stood aghast by my actions; even the stout man pulled over and looked at the commotion.

"You little-!" the man hit me with his left palm. Suddenly we heard some clattering noises around the corner. It revealed a very luxurious black carriage carried along by four beautiful dark horses. The carriage was accompanied by thirty or more soldiers riding with the same breed. They carried flags which I noticed immediately. I gritted my teeth at the sight of it as I remembered that same color and patterns flying together with the flames that burned my village. They were approaching us with speed and all I could think is the impending collision. The man cladded with dark armor seemed unfazed by the threat in front of him. He quickly raised his right hand and abruptly the carriage and the troops stopped. I wonder how the person inside the carriage could cope up with that instant halt. I stretched my neck to see over the carriage and found the curtain opened swiftly, the man in-charge and his horse came beside the window and spoke in much coolness. The guard in-charge quickly came near with five of his troops. I sensed how pathetic the cart is to the carriage including the stout man who nervously gotten off the cart and with a second bowed lowly to them.

"You! Why are you blocking our way!" the guard-in charge shouted at him.

"I-I apolog-"the stout man was cut-off immediately.

"Are you aware of who might be riding in that carriage?"

"I-I'm certainly aware sir. I humbly ask for your forgiveness." He clasped his hands, beads of sweat covered his bald head.

The guard in-charge and his men circled us, and were sickened by the sight of us.

"Slave tradesmen sir!" a guard shouted.

"Yes, Yes, I know! Lucky we're short of time, we will take the finest of your standard as a payment for the time wasted and the disruption of his majesty's comfort." He announces dryly.

"Right, Sir." The stout man shuffled to his feet and asked for his companion to take and release the red-headed girl with a pale complexion with a narrow waist. The girl was still struggling as they handed her to the guard.

"Don't you dare touch me! I'm a free person!" The girl shouted at the top of her lungs and spit at the man holding her. A large palm slapped her right cheek.

"I'd rather die than you taking me as a slave!" she hissed at the guard in-charge.

"Then we both agree." He replied and in that moment he pierced her stomach with his blade.

My eyes grew big at the sight. He pushed her body at the side leaving her body face front. She was barely breathing while her mouth and eyes were opened wide at the cruelty of the blade.

"Pick another one that is less...deranged." He said as he wiped the blood.

My body still wasn't moving except my eyes that grew big and restless as I held the gaze of the girl. She was pleading to me. Why is she looking like that to me! And what did he call her? Deranged? Those bastards! I didn't realize that my wrist and ankles were freed.

"It's time to get rid of you!" the stout man remarked and I was led to a horse and a guard waiting for me with a rope on his hands. I regained myself again as the rope tightened.

"Take her to the castle." The guard-in charge commanded.

I let myself tugged by the horse. It became so familiar again. I didn't spoke, I didn't shout, I didn't fight. My body became so weak and numb. If I could have my strength again, I could take this guard down.

But I couldn't.

*Thank you so much for reading the prologue!! I hope you read further and if you have comments and suggestions, please don't be too harsh 'cause i'm just an amateurish writer :P well see you in the next chapter.

-Fretzene