Chapter 9: At the loneliest hour

I was back cleaning in the fireplace together with Pauline. She seemed happy that I came back. We chatted a little and finished our chores.

"You're quite cheerful today." She asked me.

"Of course I am, since that bastard's not here." I emphasized the word bastard.

"Oh you mean the king? I'm really amazed by your bravery and it's not just me it's like everyone! Even outside the castle, others are talking about you. How can you just call him bastard?"

I laughed and said, "Its suits him and I have lot of other names to call him."

Then we both laughed. I'm a bit thankful at the prisoner who escaped, the king and several of his men went searching for him and it seems it will take them several days to find that person.

I looked outside the window and smiled, very soon the snow will fall. I saw a bird going to a hollow bark and the last leaf of a nearby tree fell of. A sudden gush of wind hit me making me shiver; I was about to close the window when I saw him. That person who made me asks for his name. He wore his usual clothes, white sleeves and brown breeches and a smile plastered on his face. He was accompanying a stallion which I believe one of the precious horses of the king. I observed him a little and found he has a broad shoulders and I believe his arms were as strong as the king. He smirked and waved at me. A blush crept to my cheeks yet I returned the wave and quickly turned my back.

At supper, I was sitting in front of Pauline eating our usual meal when the door flew opened again. I expect that he'll directly go to the server but then he surveyed the room and found me, he quickly smiled at sat beside me.

"Good evening ladies, do you mind if I sit here?"

"no, not at all" Pauline replied.

"great, I'll just get my food." He went to the server and gave him a meal equivalent of Madame Marion and the chefs.

"wow. How could you get those?" Pauline was amazed by the food.

"want some?" he gave her a muffin.

"thanks."

"and you?" he offered me another one.

"no thank you." I said.

"how come you won't accept this? This is quite decent than that totally hard piece of bread."

"I've grown to like them." I lied.

"you like this even more. Open your mouth.aaah." He motioned me to eat it.

"okay, I can eat it by myself thanks."

I held the muffin in my hands and took a bite. I stared at the muffin as I remembered that I used to have a muffin every day in our home, freshly baked from the oven made by my mother.

"are you alright Katarina?" He called my name.

"yes, I'm fine." I smiled at him.

After cleaning the dishes, I went outside the kitchen to breathe some fresh air when suddenly he sprang from the bushes.

"It seems that you're thinking something." He said.

I smiled and said, "I'm thinking about my family."

"oh. Where are they?"

"My mother died when I was a little child, and my father-" I didn't finish my sentence.

"my father died when I was a little child, and my mother nags me all the time!"

His face twisted as he mentioned his mother and began laughing.

"well I couldn't blame her." I laughed also.

We talked for several minutes, I laughed at his tell tales and also as he make face when I tease him when he complains again about his mother. Pauline also joined us and we laughed at her innocent gestures. We three had a great time until a bell signaled us that it's our curfew. We head back in the door kitchen and as Pauline turned around to go first, he gave me a wink and escaped to the bush which earned me again another blush.

Sure, my stay here was a bit tragic but even through hard times you will always end up making friends.

*Short chapter :) thanks for reading anyway.