Chapter 2: A punishment worthy for a slave

The following morning, Pauline and I were busy cleaning the second fireplace when she struck a conversation with me.

"I've never got the chance of asking your name." She flashed a smile at me. "After supper you went directly in your quarters."

"I'm sorry Pauline, I was tired and I'm quite depressed." I faced her and smiled. "My name's Katarina."

"Katarina, it's quite lovely." She commented.

"Pauline's a pretty name too." I replied.

"It does? I remembered my brother found a pig in the woods and called it Pauline so every time my mom calls me he shouts 'pigsty!' right on my face." Her eyes glowed at the memory.

"What a cruel brother." I chuckled.

"I miss him so much." She added. I looked at her for a moment and then she shifted her knees and got up. I'm going to take these ashes to the bin. She looked distracted by the memory as she closed the door then I heard some clattering outside. I quickly opened the door and found the girl on her knees as the pail rolled away scattering the ashes. Then I saw the familiar face of the guard in-charge standing with an angry look. His boots were covered with the ashes; he quickly grabbed a fistful of the girl's hair and shouted, "How dare you sully my boots!"

"I'm sorry sir I didn't mean to. I-I was not myself-"the man quickly released her and shove her down the carpet. He quickly got his whip and began hitting her. The girl curled up and screamed at the pain of the whip.

"Stop it! " I muttered under my breath.

"Stop it!" it seems that he can't hear me.

"Stop it!" I quickly ran beside the girl and greeted the whip at my back. It hurt so much that I forgot how to breathe.

"So you're playing the heroine eh? Then the both of you shall taste this whip. He continued for several whips until he get tired and kicked the pail across the hallway.

"He's gone." I got up under the writhing pain and assisted Pauline who's still closing her eyes.

"Come. Let's clean up."

She nodded as tears went down from her cheek to the ash-covered carpet.

*How's that royal guard eh? I bet you just want to pummel that face of him. haha. Thanks again for reading! :D

-Fretzene