Chapter 19: The expected results

Katarina:

"granted."

That was the last words he said that night and left me there in the balcony.

The night ended with me dancing together with Nathan who keeps lowering his hands at my back but I could still feel his eyes were on me.

This was yet another day but a day which Erik would be freed. I quickly got up from my bed and bathed. Other maids who knew me at the ball were glaring at me. It seems they're quite troubled why I have found favor from the duchess. I ran as fast as I can to the dungeons but the guard said he wasn't there. I wonder where did he went and began searching the stables. There he was! He was busy scrubbing a royal horse.

"So  you are scrubbing Geoff's mane." I said with cheer.

Silence.

"I-I ran as fast as I could to find you. How are you?"

Silence.

Why wouldn't he say anything. I approached him and held his shoulder to let him face me. He stopped scrubbing but I was greeted by a strange look in his face.

"what's wrong?" I look through his face and it seems he's quite crossed and a bit wary.

"nothing." He said and began scrubbing again.

"did I do something?" What's wrong with him? I frowned.

"I think I should leave you for now until you decide to talk to me." I said and began to walk away.

Suddenly he gripped my arms with his wrist.

"wait, Katarina." He spun me slowly towards him and he looked me in the eyes.

"I'm sorry, I just can't accept that you kissed him."

What?

I stood motionless.

"How did you find out?"

"he told me himself." He said with gritted teeth and looked away.

Erik :

                        I was lying on my back when suddenly the iron gate was opened.

"Get up boy." A guard hurled me to get up.

I exited the cell, curious where I was going. I was brought to the throne room again but I was alone with the king.

"did you learn your lesson?" he asked  while putting wine in a glass.

"yes, my king. I ask for your forgiveness." I bowed.

"If it was me, I would make sure you'll rot there together with those rebels  but I was given a considerable bargain for your release."

He said with a devilish smile.

"what bargain?" I asked with suspicion. No other thing is equal with the king's decision.

"the bargain young lad is quite interesting. I could have dismiss it otherwise but then I was amused by her approach."

"her?"

He let out a small chuckle, "well that girl of course!" He snorted.

"W-what did she do?" I am perplexed for I surely know what he can do to Katarina.