Chapter 16: red as a tomato and a severed tongue

Katarina:

The following morning during our lesson, the both of them never spoke about what happened yesterday evening instead they keep on talking about other things which do not include the king. They were so happy that the duke was able to dislodge my sword at our third match. We ended the training since the duke began having problems with his breathing. He was sent to the clinic accompanied by the duchess so I grabbed the opportunity to sneak at Pauline but she wasn't there. I remembered the times when we were so busy and felt guilty being promoted as a chamber maid. I went back upstairs to put all the equipment when I ran to three men. I quickly bowed and apologized and began to pick up the fallen objects. I never glanced who they were but was astonished to come face to face with a blonde-haired gentleman giving a smile at me. He helped me picked up my clutter and thanked him. I glanced the other two who just stood there and didn't helped me. My hands trembled when I saw the guard in charge and in his right was the king himself.

"Come on you two, let's help this girl bring these equipment." The gorgeous blonde gentleman said.

"I'm the king. Do you expect me to help that lowly servant?" the king spoke up.

"I guess not. Well then, I command you Roan to help this young girl with her burden."

So Roan was the name of this guard in charge. I will surely remember his name. He was the one who struck the redhead girl to her death and the one who beat me and Pauline.

Roan eyed me and lifted all of it leaving me nothing to hold. He and that blonde gentleman carried them for me which made me useless and a bit embarrassed.

"Where would we put it?" Roan asked.

"at the fourth room." I pointed nearby.

"shall we?" the blonde said and all of us headed to the room. I can sense that the king also was just behind us.

We reached the room and put all the equipment where they belong. I bowed and thanked them again. As we left the room, the blonde man asked me.

"Sorry I didn't get your name?"

"my name's Katarina, my lord."

"Katarina." He emphasized the letter r.

"you have such a lovely name and a lovely face." He held my right hand and kissed the back of it. My face was red as a tomato. I could see the growing annoyance of the king and the rolling of eyes by the guard in charge.

"Shall we head back? It seems I'm wasting my time here" The king immediately spoke.

"I'm Nathan. If we meet again, can you join me for a drink?" he flashed his pearly whites at me.

"I-I'm honored." I began to stutter.

Then the three of them left.

Lucas:

The three of us arrived at my study room when suddenly Nathan laughed.

"What's your problem?" I eyed him.

"nothing, I do not have a problem... in fact you do have a problem." He sat in one of the chairs and crossed his legs.

"I always have a problem." I replied.

"hmm. But this one's related to her."

"who's her?"

"aah...you're so easy to read cousin." He smirked

"hmm. And what did you find cousin?" I returned a smirk.

"you are quite interested with that girl, Katarina." Nathan said while Roan snickered.

"you're either be hallucinating or you're out of your mind." I replied as I arranged my papers.

"oh you don't? such a shame. She's quite a beauty if not for her uniform." He stood up and began to examine the paintings.

"If it's not me, others will surely have her." And there I paused.

"I think a severed tongue would be much suited for you. Isn't it not." I turned to Roan who agreed with me.

*Nathan is such a tease! :)

thanks for reading so far.

-Fretzene