Chapter 14: At dinner time

The duke and the duchess ordered me to teach them what I learned about swordfights. Even the duchess was eager to learn because of me. She kept on talking about how she should have learned it instead of some boring piano lessons. The duke knows fencing but he really doesn't know how to fight an aggressive opponent such as the king. I was together with them this whole day but it was fine since I was relieved with all of my duties for a week until they held their match. The two were very kind to me and they looked at each other in a way that my parents looked at each other. I suddenly thought about that boy. Until now I didn't know his name! I immediately cleared my thoughts and began teaching them again. The day ended with the three of us in pain. Our muscles ache and we have to flinched as we try to get up from a sitting position.

"Katarina, will you join us for a dinner tonight?" The duchess suddenly asked.

"oh, I'm very grateful your grace but I can't accept that offer." I bowed my head.

A dinner? The king will also be there!

"Are you worried about the king? He's going to be out tonight with Nathan, our cousin." The duchess whispered and grinned.

"I-I suppose I can." I said shyly.

"then that's great." The both of them headed to their room.

I was on my bed resting when a knock came by. A maid gave me a box which was given by the duchess. I thank the maid and opened it quickly. There I saw a beautiful emerald dress with matching shoes. I picked up the note and read:

"Dearest Katarina, We gave this dress for you to wear this evening's dinner. This is a sort of a gift for helping us. Thank you. Eleanor and Johan."

I smiled at the little note. I was very grateful meeting them.

I wore the emerald dress and the shoes with glee. I hurried towards the dining room when I saw Pauline being bullied by some maids with their leader, the freckled girl.

"You better finish this up Pauline."

"but this is not mine to clean." Pauline reasoned out.

"It is now yours or you'll be getting a bruise." The freckled girl warned.

I quickly stormed towards them with an angry look.

"You lazy, mean, and selfish girls! If you ever hurt or bully Pauline, I'll make sure you all get what you deserve!"

They were both shocked including Pauline as I raised my voice wearing an emerald dress.

"K-Katarina! I barely recognized you! You are so lovely." Pauline smiled at me.

"How did you end up wearing that? Did you stole those?" a maid said in disgust.

"It's clear she stole those." The freckled maid rolled her eyes and raised her eyebrows.

"Madame Marion will hear it surely." Another maid said.

"I didn't steal it. It was given to me." I defended myself.

The girls laughed at me while Pauline demanded them to stop.

"who would give it you?" the freckled girl said.

"it will be us." A feminine voice interrupt which made them silent. All of the maids bowed to the Duchess, the Duke, and the King. The king! Why is he here? I thought he's going out with his cousin?

"Katarina? Would you join us for dinner?" the Duchess held my hands and I was led to the dining room. I stole a quick glance at the Pauline and the maids. She smiled in disbelief while the others was awe struck.

The king was at the center while I was seated beside the Duchess while she faced her husband.

The first course was served and I began eating it reluctantly.

"Why is she here?" The king looked at me.

He gave me an unwanted look so I stopped eating and held down my spoon.

"Lucas, why are you saying such things. We invited her so she is our guest these evening." She gave a heartwarming smile but wasn't enough to melt his cold stare at me.

"Now let's resume eating." She added.

I raised my spoon when the king spoke again.

"This wench isn't fit to dine with us." I never looked at him but I could sense he never stopped staring at me.

"um...where's Nathan? I thought the both of you will dine outside tonight?" the duke cleared his voice.

"He's with a woman friend. My presence would be of no use. Just like this girl in front of us." I was beyond hurt with what he said. I could take all of his humiliation but not in front of the duchess and the duke. I felt so stupid wearing this dress.

"If you would excuse me, I shall go. Thank you for this lovely dinner." I bowed and quickly put my spoon and napkin. I walked as fast as I could without looking back.

*humiliated much... I ought to punish this arrogant king :)

Share

vote

comment

-Fretzene