Chapter 40

"Nova! Get your ass down here," I hear Alexis's screams coming from downstairs, reaching all the way to my bathroom on the second floor. I shot down the shower water to make sure I heard his voice right or if I'd just imagined it. "Nova!" his voice calls again with loud banging on my bathroom door now. I hop right out of the bathtub and cover myself with my robe in a hurry. I don't even get the chance to open the door, I just unlock it and Alexis opens it from outside as he rushes toward me, picks me up by the legs, and spins me around. I giggle, half glad seeing him this happy and half panicking over him dropping me. "Alexis, please put me down," 

"Kid, we did it! We fucking did it!" he starts jumping instead of spinning around now, with me still in his arms which causes my panic to increase. "Can you put me down so we can have a normal conversation please?" I order him and he finally puts me down. "What did we do?" I ask him as straighten my robe and tighten it around me. "We've been invited to the biggest business gala of all," 

"What?" 

"We've earned such good ratings and reviews that it earned us an invitation to one of the greatest business galas that I've been dreaming of attending ever since I opened my first restaurant," his words are completely understandable and clear but my mind just doesn't seem to comprehend. "But how? It's only been six months since we opened up," 

"I know, and that's what makes it so amazing. We've been working really hard and thanks to me and no less to our great executive chef that's been keeping the kitchen in order. They finally noticed us and our great work." he points both his hands at me as if he's presenting me in front of a crowd. "You're not kidding, right? He rolls his eyes. "What makes you... You know what forget it, take this," he hands me an opened envelope and I take it from him. It contains a black card inside that I take out and start reading immediately. "Omg, we're invited. Alexis, we're actually invited. You did it!" I start jumping in my place before I jump at him and hug him tightly. "No, Kid, we did it," hugs me with one arm. "And could you imagine that we might get nominated for something there?" he continues. I lean my head back so I can see his face but my hands is still around his neck. "Do you really think that's possible? Maybe they just invited us to join them and not because we're nominated for anything,"

"Why do you always have to be so negative, Kid? We've got a really mesmerizing place, the greatest service, and very outstanding and delicious food. Maybe we won't get the nomination for the restaurant of the year, considering we've only been in the game for half a year. But who knows, maybe we'll get nominated for having the best food because we sure do have the best food," he winks and I just laugh and lean my head back on his shoulder. "I'm really happy for you Alexis. Things turned out the way you wanted them to, and you deserve it." 

"Ah, stop being so sentimental, Kid. I suggest you start getting ready for the gala instead," 

"I'm coming with you?" he breaks the hug. "Of course you are, you're the executive chef, you've basically been by right-hand this whole time. You're a big part of all of this. And Gia of course, our biggest supporter is coming with us too," I big warm smile forms on my face to his words. "Speaking of Gia, I should probably go tell her now," 

"Omg, you didn't tell her?" 

"No I wanted to tell you first," he tells me casually as he starts walking backwards towards the door. "Oh, by the way, the gala is tomorrow evening." the words leave his mouth in such a calm tone as he had just uttered the most normal thing. "What?" I almost scream. "What do you mean tomorrow? How could they invite us on such short notice?" I walk after him. "They didn't, I've just had the time to check my mailbox in a while," 

"How the fuck am I supposed to have time to get ready on such short notice?" 

"You'll manage, Kid, well go out dress-shopping tomorrow, I'm sure Gia needs one too," 

"Ugh, I hate you, Alexis," 

"I love you too, Kid," he tells me as he walks down the stairs.