Chapter 50

"It's just not an option, I'm sorry," Dr. Kumar tells Gia and me. "But what if she doesn't want to keep the baby?" Gia asks the doctor. "She's too far along in her pregnancy for an abortion. We perform abortions until the 18th week of the pregnancy and she's in her 19th week. I'm really sorry but there's nothing more I can do.  She has to birth the baby, but she sure has options afterward. Giving birth doesn't oblige you to keep the baby and raise it." She turns from Gia to look at me before Gia starts talking again and draws the doctor's attention back to her. "Can't you run a few new tests on her and make sure, just in case the previous results were wrong?" 

"That's a hardy uncommon outcome ma'am," 

"But that doesn't mean that it's impossible. She isn't showing and she even bled a while ago, that's partly why she wasn't concerned about any pregnancy.  How do you explain that if your tests are so reliable as you claim they are," Gia Sophia protests. 

"Bodies change in their own speed, it varies from one person to other. And as for the bleeding, sometimes during pregnancy, women can go through a 2-day-long bleeding that's called implantation bleeding. It's caused by the fertilized egg when it embeds itself into the uterine wall to grow some blood vessels can be ruptured which causes bleeding. The symptoms of implantation bleeding are similar to the period symptoms, light cramps, mood swings, back pain, and even tender breasts, so it's quite easy for a person to mistake it for a regular period," Dr. Kumra explains. "But if you insist then I can take a few more tests and even an ultrasound so you can see the baby yourselves, maybe find out the gender..." 

"No!" I interrupt her, "I don't want to," to sets of eyes rest on me while I stare at the palm of my hand, as I've been doing ever since Gia walked me to the doctor's office to clarify things. "It's okay, Dr.Kumar, we don't need any more tests. Thank you for your help," Gia talks in my place, as she's been doing ever since we came into the office. The doctor gives us a nod of sympathy as we rise from our chairs and head to the door. "So, is it going to be a baby Nova or a baby Miles?" Alexis greets us at the office door, leaning against the wall with arms folded against his chest. "Na stamatísei, Alexis," Gia has a sharp voice as she addresses him in something I guess is in greek. "I'm just curious, why should I stop?" he pushes himself away from the wall and bends a little closer to my face. I avoided eye contact with him. 

"Did you enjoy it at least? Was it worth it?" His words make me not look into his eyes hard, so I turn, now facing him. "Did he fuck you hard enough for you to forget what he made you go through the last year?" I don't know how but my hand makes a sudden move, in a reflex, I smack Alexis hard on his face, without any sign of regret when I realize what I've done. He looks away with a clenched jaw, as he places a hand on the cheek I just slapped. I don't give him the opportunity to walk away this time because I start walking away, eager to collect my things and return home.