Chapter 49

Gia's greek playlist is playing in my earbuds as I work, a method of distraction I've been using these past months. That seems to be the only way to keep away my hunting terrible thoughts and memories.

For a little over four months now my work routine has been changing into my working clothes, talking with my coworkers enough for them to understand what they have to do, and then plugging my earbuds in, letting the greek music flow through my ears as I cook. That's until someone needs my help and I have to take them out for a while before putting them back in again.

I've even turned into a fan of greek music during the process. It started with me listening to my own music but all the lyrics and words just made my mind connect with memories and thoughts and then I would just overthink and start panicking or just get anxious in the best-case scenario.

Then Gia suggested I take her playlist because I don't understand the lyrics. It just plays in the background as a distraction for me and she was right, it has worked wonders. Although a thought might slip in here and there sometimes it really has made a difference and I think I'm starting to get a little better, like I'm starting to really move on.

The hard part for me before may be that I always had hope deep inside for M...him, for us to find our way back to each other no matter what. And that hope kind of drained me, preventing me from moving on with my life. But then...yeah then everything turned on me and the awful event kept tormenting me and invading my head every second of the day but with Gia's Sophia's support and help and as time passed and I found the coping mechanisms I've been keeping myself distracted from those thoughts. No hope, minimal bad thoughts, I'm almost free.

I feel a finger poke my shoulder, interrupting my motivational thoughts. Moving my focus from the vegetables I was chopping to the person that sought my attention, I see a flustered Alexis standing in front of me. "It turns out I've been talking to myself for about three minutes until I spotted the earbuds in your ear. Since when do you wear earbuds while working?" he spits out word after word in haste as soon as he takes out one of my earbuds, not caring to wait for me to take them out myself. "It's really calming, you should try it," I tell him with a meaning voice. "Are you implying something?" he asks with a frown. Am I implying that you should calm down when you work? Maybe. "No, it's just something I think everybody should try," I tell him as I turn my back to him again and continue chopping.

"I wanted to talk to you," I feel my heart rate increase as I take a deep swallow. Shit, shit, shit. I'm not ready for this. How did he find out? Shit. "It's about... it's Piper," I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in as I thank God that I had thought wrong as I turn around in excitement to face him again. That's why his face is flushed. "Omg, have you finally asked her out? Did you go on a date? How did it go?" Excitement. I'm actually feeling excitement after being a half-dead human for what feels like forever. "Lower your voice," he whispers as one of his hands covers my mouth and the other holds on to my arm, dragging me away from the others. He looks around us before he uncovers my mouth again. "You can't just blurt everything out in front of everybody,"

"You really think that you and Piper are top secret, don't you?" I give him a skeptical frown and he just stares back at me, looking like one big question mark. "Common, Alexis," my head tilts to the side as I stare into his face. "How could anybody know that we are a thing when not even I know we are a thing?"

"Everybody is aware of the tension between the two of you, not to mention the way you eyefuck her,"

"I do not!"

"Yes, you do."

"Not!" I roll my eyes. "as you say then. Now tell me what's been going on between the two of you.