34- Tell Me You Need Me

Beth Greene stood idly behind the stove, using a wooden spoon to stir out the lumps in her white sauce. She dipped her pinkie finger into the pot and brought it to her mouth. The sauce tasted just perfect. She added some of the best spices in one delightful combination, and continued to stir. Beth began to hum, a soft tune, one that could a baby to sleep. The sun would set soon, its presence in the sky indicating that twilight had deepened.

She had a lot to be grateful for. Really, she did. A beautiful family in a cosy country home. It was everything and more. Really, it was. She had made this little place her own. Pictures of her family were scattered on the walls, on the fireplace, on the tables, everywhere. Maggie's face smiled at her from the nearby peach painted wall. Glenn had his arm around her, their beautiful baby smiling a toothless smile on her sister's lap. It was an old picture, which always put Beth in a good mood when she looked at it. The house was painted in various shades of white, beige, peach and orange. The living room's colour was that of an African sunset. It was breath taking. The lounge set didn't match, but it didn't bother her. She had bought the three-seater first hand for a bargain. The lounger was sold for next to nothing at a garage sale, and the 'Throne' as it was nicknamed, had a patch sewn in on the cushion and looked a bit ragged but it was still perfect.

Beth untied her apron and hung it up on the kitchen wall. She took the pot off the heat and placed it on a pot stand to cool. The oven tinged, alerting Beth it had finished preheating. She poured the put of macaroni into a Pyrex bowl, mixed in the bacon bits and poured over the white sauce. She popped it into the oven and kicked the door closed. She finished cleaning the countertops and ran the hot water in the sink to begin washing up. She piled all the dirty dishes on one side, and squirted in the dishwashing liquid, when she heard the rustle of keys in the front door.

A smile instantly washed over her face. She forgot about whatever worries she had during the day. Hubby was home!

'Evenin', love.' His rough voice spoke those words as gently as the night sky outside.

Beth turned from the sink to face her husband of almost two years. His stubble grew darker on his face, his sandy blonde hair longer around the collar of his shirt. She walked over to him and slowly wrapped her arms around him, her fingers interlocking at the nape of his neck. She stood on her tip toes so that she could give him a small kiss on his lips.

'Evenin', Daryl.' He lightly pressed his nose against hers. 'Supper will be ready in a few. Go sit down and relax, I'll call ya when the table is laid.'

His hands squeezed her sides, and he peeped over at the pile of dishes. 'I'll dry.'

'Sit,' she said firmly and loosened herself from his arms, but he pulled her in closer. He stared into her eyes, not backing down.

'Fine,' Beth mumbled. She would never be able to win against those blue eyes. Never.

He chuckled lightly and released her from his grip after a swift kiss. He snagged a dishtowel from one of the cupboards and waited for the dishes to come through for him to dry.

'How was your day, Bethy?' He asked gently as he dried a plate.

'Oh, the usual. Yours?'

'I wanna hear about the usual. What did ya have for breakfast?' He always did this, and Beth loved it. Daryl had made it a habit of his to find out about what she did during her normal days at home, from the moment he left the house till he got home, like it was the most interesting thing on earth.

'Peanut butter and honey on toast, and a cup of lemon tea.' Beth answered, a smile on her face. God, she loved this man.

'And my lil' sunshine?' He packed away the few plates he'd dried so far.