18 - The World is a Dangerous Place

2.2k words

༻✦༺

(Y/n)'s POV
I opened my eyes to an empty bed.

Anakin had fallen asleep in here with me last night and I had expected him to be here when I woke, but he was nowhere to be seen. There was only a dent in the mattress and a crinkle in the sheets right where he once laid. It hurt that he was gone, mainly because I kept picturing him rushing away before dawn, filled with regret.

We did not go far last night, I still remain virtuous, but we went a lot farther than we should have.

I sighed as I placed my palm on my sheets and pushed myself up, my hair fell to the side as I yawned. Seconds later my bedroom door opened and I glanced up, expecting it to be Padmé, but my heart skipped a few beats when I came to realize it was Anakin.

He stood there in his clothes for the day with his weapons on display, and his hands were resting elegantly on his stomach. His hair, nicely combed to the side and every button on his tunic was done, "The Queen is requesting your presence for breakfast." He spoke politely and softly.

"When did you leave?" I asked, fully sitting up.

He nervously swallowed, "Only an hour ago your highness," He looked down at the floor to hide his eyes from me. He was not quick enough though, I still saw the shame behind them, "But if you recall, we agreed to never speak of those transgressions again, so please, let us move on from it." He turned around and walked out of my room, "Get dressed, I will wait out here for you." He closed the door before I could say anything back.

I dropped myself down to the bed with a groan. How am I supposed to move on from it when the way he made me feel is all I can think about? Although I am not sure what it is that I want from him exactly, especially since there is not much I am allowed to want when it comes to him.

I feel lost in my own head and it is all because of that foolish, yet endearing kiss.

I tapped my fingers in a row on the table as I sat lost in my own thoughts. Wishing I was anywhere than where I am right now. Do not get me wrong, I love my mother dearly and I enjoy the time I get with her, but I was not in the mood today to talk about marriage, children, or my legacy.

"So, it has been obvious to us that you have taken a liking to King Anthony." My mother was trying to pry information out of me while we sat at a table in the back garden, having our breakfast, "Should we be shopping for a wedding dress?"

I sighed quietly to myself knowing I was not going to be getting myself out of this conversation. I shifted my gaze to the person behind her, Anakin, who was currently talking to one of the female house-maidens. He seemed relatively normal in the conversation and kept his distance, her on the other hand — she appeared to be flirting and making it obvious with her cliche hair twirls and the slow batting of her lashes.

I glanced back down to my mother, pushing away the uncomfortable twist in my stomach, "It is still early to tell if if he is marriage worthy Mother, but I do enjoy his company and he is a kind man—," My words were cut off by the sound of laughter and I shot my irritated gaze behind my mother once more. The woman talking to Anakin was laughing a little too dramatically as she not-so-subtly placed her hand on his bicep.

He eyed her hand that was looking comfortable on him, and his gaze slowly met mine. I quickly looked away from him as I grabbed my juice from the table and chugged it — so I may have asked Padmé to add a little something to this for a morning kick. But in my defense, I am stressed beyond my wits.