5. Ebb and Flow

Marina gazed at her reflection in the dirty mirror hung in Cap'n Cuttlefish's office. She did not quite know how to feel about the skimpy outfit that he had given her to wear, or the heavy stage makeup caked on her face.

"Are you sure you want me wearing this, Mr. Cuttlefish? I'm afraid it doesn't really suit the... er, the vibe I'm going for," Marina said, turning to the old man sitting at his desk.

"It's Cap'n Cuttlefish. And of course! Just do something with your tentacles and you'll look like a million bucks," he said, handing her a tentalock tie.

Worry creased her face as she took the tie and looked in the mirror. "What's wrong with my tentacles?"

"Nothing, dear! Nothing at all, but just do something with it. Makes us look a little more pro-fresh-ional."

Pro-fresh-ional, of all things.

Without much protest, Marina pulled her tentalocks back and tied them in a ponytail.

"See? What did I tell ya, a million bucks!" Cap'n Cuttlefish said with an approving nod.

Marina stared at herself with a grimace on her face. It was all just too much. She stared and stared at the dozen of fake gold bracelets adorning her wrists, and the equally worthless hoop earrings hanging from her ears. When she was done worrying about the fake jewelry, she fixated on her outfit that made her even more uncomfortable; the small and tight tube top she agreed to wear was suffocating and the low-rise denim shorts she had been lent were way over the top. This was way out of her comfort zone but unfortunately, this was her only option.

A middle-aged Inkling peeked her head in. "Ms. Ida? You're up in three," she informed.

"Thank you," Marina said, placing a fake smile on her face as she fixed her posture. She tried to convince herself that she was cool and confident like Pearl was. The fact that she would be performing in front of Pearl and her friends made her more nervous than the fact that the bar was full of drunks.

"Wish me luck, Captain," Marina smiled with a salute.

"Best of luck to you, Ms. Ida." Cap'n Cuttlefish watched as she exited his office to head backstage. "Not that you need it," he added once he was alone.

Marina found her way backstage, humming the song she would be performing tonight as she fiddled with her green tinted fingers anxiously. She watched and waited patiently while the Inkling-Octoling music duo on stage finished their performance.

"Thank you for coming out, everyone. I'm Ikkan," the purple Inkling said.

"I'm Warabi," said the Octoling man.

"And we're Diss-Pair," they said simultaneously.

As the two walked off of the stage, they caught sight of Marina and both smiled encouragingly. The Octoling pushing his DJ table on wheels told her, "Break a leg out there, sistah!"

Marina giggled, calming her nerves as she took a deep breath.

"You're up, Ms. Ida."

She walked onstage towards the grand piano, the only nice thing in the bar really, looking down so she did not step on any cords or empty beer cans. As she took a seat, Cap'n Cuttlefish's voice came over the speakers.

"Our next performer tonight is a new face around here. Let's give a warm welcome to Marina Ida!"

For the first time tonight, she looked at her audience and was very pleased to see her girlfriend and friends sitting at one of the front tables. While the only reaction she got from everyone else was a low wolf whistle that made her blush in embarrassment, she felt her cheeks only get hotter when Nana and Pearl unashamedly screeched at the top of their lungs supportively. Marina's award-winning smile had grown into a bashful one as she attempted to calm herself down and start playing the song.