Of Worlds and Daydreams

A/N: rui and mizuki find out something unexpected about eachother.

---

"Psst, Rui!"

Rui looked up from his 'work', then looked around the room, before turning back to his phone- the source of the sound.

"There's no one around, Len-kun. You're free to come out."

His phone lit up in blue and a hologram of the blond himself appeared, smiling brightly at him. "Hello, Rui-kun!!"

"Hey. It's quite late, don't you think?"

"Well, you know, since it's almost always day in SEKAI, it's kind of hard to tell, so!" Len justified, changing into a sitting position on Rui's desk.

These holograms are truly something else. They can sort of interact with the environment, however, they don't really exist...

Unfortunately, he can't really tear Len apart to figure out how his real-world reflection works, as much as he wants to.

Hm. He should stop thinking about cutting people open and rearranging their insides to satiate his curiosity. That's not normal, probably.

"What are you up to, Rui-kun?" Len's next question dragged him out of his mildly fucked up train of thought, and he pointed to the blueprint left of where he was currently tinkering with something.

"One of the stage lights was slower and less consistent than the rest the other day, and I'm trying to fix it. I'm trying to reverse engineer the source of the problem because I'm sure it's not actually the lights, since I've tested it and it works perfectly fine, but something in the circuits."

"Oh, that's incredible! You just have this sort of stuff laying around?" The boy leaned in to look at the plans Rui had signaled to him better.

"Of course. As our troupe's one and only technician, having the actual plans for the things I build or modify on my own on hand can be very useful if they start malfunctioning or need fixing for any other reason." Rui said, turning back to the assortment of wires on his desk. "Especially the lights, which are bound to break quite often just because of how fragile they are."

"Can I watch? It's really cool seeing you work..." Len moved back again from where he was leaning over Rui, as if to not disturb his view of what he was doing.

"Yes, of course. Just be careful. I'm not home alone today."

"Weren't your parents on a trip? Or was that Tsukasa-kun..."

"No, you're right about that. It's just a friend of mine staying over today. They're in the other room on a call."

"Their? As in, multiple people? Wouldn't it be your "friends", then...?"