The Outside World (But I'm Still Inside My Head)

A/N: tsukasa is out of the hospital. and above all, he is NOT jealous.

THE PLOT THICKENNNNNNNNSSSSS

this is what the summary was referring to. but more importantly. tsukasa is. so. so. wrong.

"You seem happy," Rui commented, sitting cross-legged on the cold floor of the Empty SEKAI. Mizuki had thoughtfully planned to bring their quote-unquote "SEKAI diary" to this visit, too, so that was what currently occupied Rui's mind as he wrote down all the important details of their conversation with Mafuyu. The way he was hunched over so he could write without having to move from his sitting position would certainly not be beneficial for his back, he thinks distantly, and despite that he doesn't change it.

"Happy?" Mizuki replied. They were properly laying on the floor, staring up at the "ceiling"; if it even counted. Rui wondered how high the "sky" of the SEKAI went, and started drafting plans in his mind to send one of the Wonderland plushies to space to find out. He knows the idea will be rejected by KAITO, anyway, but it's a fun possibility to think about for him. Ah, he truly believes the physical limitations, or in this case, lack thereof, of the plushies weren't properly explored due to his protective nature. But well, who is he to go against his dearest father-older brother figure?

"When Asahina-san asked why she should do this for us, especially. You looked strangely delighted to hear it from her." He hummed.

"Hm, I didn't know it was that obvious." Mizuki chuckled, sitting up. "Well... you know how Mafuyu is always in so many activities and clubs and such?"

"Yes, because all you do is complain about how you almost never see her at a time where you can show off your outfits to her."

"Shush. That's not the point." They laughed, and Rui's chest found itself filled with warmth at the sound. He tried to ignore it. "Well... Mafuyu has a hard time saying no when people ask her for things."

"She's been sort of conditioned by the people around her, mostly her mother, to always do what's asked of her, so..." Mizuki smiled to themselves. "I'm glad she's regaining a sense of freedom. Of autonomy, I suppose. To be able to ask "why though?" instead of going "yes ma'am". It makes me happy we've had a positive influence on her— although, I'm sure her mother wouldn't think the same."

"..." Rui said, and a comfortable silence fell between them, only filled with the sounds of Rui's purple pen on the paper. Until he spoke. "I'm glad."

"Hm?"

"I'm glad you're able to save people, Mizuki."

I'm glad Mafuyu isn't scared of you, or hates you. I'm glad the people around trust you enough to speak their mind without fear of repercussions. I'm glad the people around you are able to rely on you and feel safe in your care.

I'm glad you're able to do what I can't.

Mizuki never hears these words from him, and he only smiles, the bitter taste of guilt on his tongue preventing him from running his mouth.